Heating comes on, then goes off again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi Bermuda back boiler, an old one unfortunately, that is just messing with my head!

If I turn the heating and hot water on, the water heats up fine and the rads get hot. However, once the hot water tank in the bedroom upstairs is full, the heating turns off. The ONLY way to get the heating to come back on is for me to just drain the hot water tank...which obviously isn't very economical!

It's driving me mad. Does anyone have any ideas what's going on or how to fix it? If you need more info let me know as i'm rubbish with plumbing/heating.

Thank in advance.

Sponsored Links
can you have heating on without hw being on at programmer ?
have you a 3 port valve near the pump ?

imagesug.jpg

Sponsored Links
If I press the Heating button without pressing the hotwater button then nothing happens. If I press the Hotwater button, the hotwater AND heating come on.

I'm not sure about the valve, i'd have to check when I get home but I think it does. The pump has 3 pipes coming out of it. One from the HW tank and two heading out down under the floor boards.

Sorry, i'm rubbish :(

you need to check when you get home.

if it has 3 port valve next to the pump then more likely the 3 ports stuck in mid positon or the micro switch has failed when calling for heating only.

also check with hw on only does the rads still get hot ?

zone_valve.jpg

on the side is a marker W M H put it on heating only what is the marker pointing to ?

Also, in the above picture. To the left there's a little black lever sticking out. On mine that's really loose and wobbly etc. Does that mean it's broken? Should it be fairly firm?

In the orientation in your piccie, it looks like the marker should be on the top of the actuator body. if not, a torch and a small mirror should help find it.

Check the lever on the front hasn't dropped into the latched position. It's often just gravity that stops the lever riding up into the latch slot, but with the valve mounted sideways, gravity is working in the wrong direction to do the job.

(Okay, the lever moves freely, so it isn't latched)

Sometimes the return springs fail, and the valve just stops at a random position instead of moving back to it's relaxed position when the power to it is off.

On the top as in the side that's touching the hot water tank?

I've looked up, down, left right and pretty much everywhere except inside the damn thing, using mirrors, lights, smoke and magic!! I still can't see any markings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back