Heating Engineer/New Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone - I'm 57 yrs old and my b***t***d husband has been having an affair, so I'm out, and after 33 married years we're divorcing. I'm buying a house for myself and have had an offer accepted but the present boiler - an AGA Raeburn - needs replacing. Also I think at least one more radiator is needed and a gas fire needs to be removed.

How to find someone who isn't going to instantly rip me off! I know nothing about boilers.......

How can I learn what I need to know?

All advice welcome but noddy-speak would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
try local forums, and if you tell us where it is there might be someone close by on here?

Sponsored Links
The rated people website doesn't work.
I've found the local council have a Buy with confidence scheme - but no recommendations, they just get a quick police check I think.
No family here. Friends yes, but not necessarily with gas boilers. I'm hoping to move in mid October, so would need the work done sometime in November - before the cold weather starts.

Isle of Wight.
I've now got 3 engineers to give quotes - the estate agent is allowing me in once for 2 hours!

I'm going to find out about getting access to the house on licence - before completion but after exchange I think. It would be good to move to something I'm confident about.

The estate agent may not let you in, but in my experience they will let installers/tradesmen in to prepare quotes without you there.

Thanks everyone. There's one entry for gas central heating engineers on the island and shows on the Gas Safe Register - so I'll be getting in touch with him.

I want this move to be as positive as possible for me and I want to be really proud of my new home. Think I'll be posting on here quite a lot and your support is really great. Thanks again

choose carefully linlin. I seem to remember a post in the combustion chamber regarding the isle of wight and blackpool as being the epicentre of unregistered gas work and engineers. :eek:

Most of those sites are paid for!

We dont pay for leads from those kind of sites as it just increases the charges to our customers.

Tony

Thanks - I'm checking everyone on the gas safe website.

I'll post on here the various quotes and comments and hope you'll do the choosing for me.

How can I learn what I need to know?

All advice welcome but noddy-speak would be appreciated.

Do some dating first before you get married again if you insist on getting divorced. An easier an more fun alternative would be to accept that swinging is quite acceptable in the 21st century, and try it yourself. It's good fun and a damn site cheaper than paying lawyers for a divorce procedure.

Do some dating first before you get married again if you insist on getting divorced. An easier an more fun alternative would be to accept that swinging is quite acceptable in the 21st century, and try it yourself. It's good fun and a damn site cheaper than paying lawyers for a divorce procedure.

I'm not intending to get married again. A second-fiddle-playing doormat, good for routine sex and all household duties wifey type married to an egotistical, self-centred, spoilt, manipulative, intellectually challenged, not-worthy-of-the-title man, gets to enjoy his life by doing exactly what he wants, when he wants, where he wants, is not my ideal. I only have experience of two men - my b**t**d husband and my b****t***d father - if I ever meet them again, it'll be too soon!

I hope that swinging isn't inside marital relationships? Adultery in fancy wrapping, is still dirty, underhand, malicious and unnecessary! The male of the species who routinely believe it is "normal" are egoistical, self-centred (see above).

Lawyers needn't cost a penny - all my costs are being met by the adulterer who will be lucky to afford to buy a tent after I'm finished with him!

Thank you for your input, but probably best if you stay up in the trees for a while longer and swing with your own kind!

If it makes you feel happier and more comfortable, get a male friend to be with you when someone calls to quote, so it appears you are not a 'lone female', ready for being ripped off.

In reality though, most of us are not like that.

I hope that swinging isn't inside marital relationships?

It often is.

Adultery in fancy wrapping, is still dirty, underhand, malicious and unnecessary!
Dirty: no
Underhand: depends on the position
Malicious: never
Unnecessary: true, but so is watching Eastenders and x-factor

The male of the species who routinely believe it is "normal" are egoistical, self-centred (see above).
It's a boy-thing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back