Heating is either on or off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my radiators have always been too hot to touch. I can turn the thermostat down but it makes no difference. The boiler is a Glowworm Compact 75p, with a Horstmann Centaur Plus C17 timer unit. The boiler does not have an inbuilt thermostat, instead there's a Sunvic (Honeywell style) in the hall. I've been told it could be the circuit board. Any ideas, anyone, please? I've asked two heating firms to come and have a look but they've not bothered turned up.

Sponsored Links
I would not go if a customer called and "asked us to come and have a look" !

We only go if we are asked to come and diagnose the cause of the problem with a view to fixing it and they have been advised of, and agreed to, our diagnostic charge.

Tony

The boiler does not have an inbuilt thermostat
That's very unlikely to be correct.

I've been told it could be the circuit board.
It could be.

Any ideas, anyone, please?
Call the person who last serviced the boiler.

If you've never had it serviced, then call British Gas. They'll be able to give you a price for fixing the problem and a fixed price for a contract for maintaining the system for a defined period.

I would not go if a customer called and "asked us to come and have a look" !

We only go if we are asked to come and diagnose the cause of the problem with a view to fixing it and they have been advised of, and agreed to, our diagnostic charge.
But on here you've been asked for ideas, and you've miserably failed to give any of those either.

call glow worm would be your best bet, they carry the spares on the van and unlike BG are experts. 01773 828100

Sponsored Links
Cheers Softus and Dangermouse. I'll contact Glowworm. I inherited the boiler with the house, so I've no idea who serviced it last or installed it.

Not very helpful Agile; I think asking a someone to "come and take a look" is not an unreasonable request.

Well, I am sorry that you think that its unreasonable, but we keep our charges to a minimum by NOT making unpaid visits!

Your BG or GW visit will cost you over £200 !

We only charge a fixed price diagnostic fee of £84 plus any parts required !

If the gas valve just required adjustment then our repair would only be just £84.

It might well be a failed temperature sensor at about £20 !

To keep our charges low we cannot make any free visits!

I suppose you expected us to come and tell you that it needs a new sensor so that you dont pay us a penny and just go and get one yourself?

As long as you pay our diagnostic fee then you are free to get someone else to repair it or to do it yourself as long as you have paid for the skilled part of diagnosing the fault!

Most of our customers seem to find our charging policy is very fair! I am sorry that you dont! I am also surprised that you are happy to pay BG or GW about twice what an independent might charge.

Tony

Hi, my radiators have always been too hot to touch. I can turn the thermostat down but it makes no difference. The boiler is a Glowworm Compact 75p, with a Horstmann Centaur Plus C17 timer unit. The boiler does not have an inbuilt thermostat, instead there's a Sunvic (Honeywell style) in the hall. I've been told it could be the circuit board. Any ideas, anyone, please? I've asked two heating firms to come and have a look but they've not bothered turned up.

Are there no controls for Hot Water / Central Heating temperatures behind the front flap of the boiler?

There would normally be two rotary controls (one with a picture of a tap and the other a radiator) .

Did I at any time state that I wanted a freebie from a heating engineer? No. Perhaps I should in future state during any proposed transaction/purchase that I intend to pay just in case I come across as a freeloader.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back