Heating oil, does it go off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am monitoring the heating oil prices and am tempted when they go low enough to fill my 2500l tank right up.

But this got me thinking, If I do that, that would probably leave about half in the tank over the summer period, which also made me think, will the oil go off or go bad in anyway, or even worse, evaporate?!

The tank is in a semi-shaded area and wont have direct sun on it.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I am monitoring the heating oil prices and am tempted when they go low enough to fill my 2500l tank right up.

But this got me thinking, If I do that, that would probably leave about half in the tank over the summer period, which also made me think, will the oil go off or go bad in anyway, or even worse, evaporate?!

The tank is in a semi-shaded area and wont have direct sun on it.
I'm thinking that a substance that lived in the ground for a gaziliion years is going to be pretty tolerant stuff.

Heating oil has a low volatility rating so it will not evaporate readily. It can't go anywhere in any case as long as you keep the container sealed.

Sponsored Links
The worst that can happen is that sludge and gunk can build up over time, (waxing of the oil)

Plus if the tank is left half empty over the summer, condensation in the tank drips into the oil and settles at the bottom of the tank,
make sure the filter is changed regularly

The way the oil prices are falling, you will probably get it totally filled up for a fiver !! :mrgreen:

The worst that can happen is that sludge and gunk can build up over time, (waxing of the oil)

Plus if the tank is left half empty over the summer, condensation in the tank drips into the oil and settles at the bottom of the tank,
make sure the filter is changed regularly

The way the oil prices are falling, you will probably get it totally filled up for a fiver !! :mrgreen:

How can water settle at the bottom of a half filled tank of oil :eek:

Anyway to answer the question, no it won't go off, its not very volatile, you *may* get some condensation problems, but I doubt it, you would need a heat differntial for that, the point about security is a good one.

I do not envy you having a 2500 litre, that's a big bill whatever the price. I may be teaching you how to suck eggs but do you know that an order that large may not be deemed as domestic, and you will pay 20% VAT, so make sure that your supplier knows its for domestic and gives you the appropriate form to declare this. I have now downsized to a bungalow with a 1000 litre tank that lasts about a year.

Because oil floats. Ask a seabird.

Sick and tired of telling machine operators in work this little gem.

They wash the print units down with hoses without fitting the guards because they think they can/do miss the gear boxes.
When I show them the sample bottle of oil they just say, "Oh, sorry. I'll fit them next time."

Try draining the blasted things and re-filling them and you certainly would fit the covers!!!

I would hang on a bit. Oil will come down further in prices as the USA and her pal Saudi Arabia drop the price so as to starve Isis of cash or put Putin out of business, depending on which conspiracy theory you prefer.

Sponsored Links
Back