Heating old solder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right from my previous posts you may notice that I don't know alot about plumbing but am keen to learn, albeit on my own house!

Over the last 8 months I have been collection items and information on fitting my bathroom. I am going to start this in a couple of weeks and give myself 4 days to do it.

My question is, the pipes are too close to the wall to put pushfit stop things on while I get sorted with the bathroom. Having spoken to the helpful guy and the merchants he suggested 'end feed' ones. Can I put these on and then reheat and remove them as I've not got much pipe to play with where it leaves the airing cupboard.

ta

Sponsored Links
Can be done. The only problem is that sometimes the residue of solder left on the end of the pipe after removal sometimes causes problem sliding the next fitting onto before soldering.

I'd have a play around with an offcut of pipe and an endfeed first before tackling it in-situ. The pipe you are capping off will have to be meticulaously dry - these end caps have a habit of popping off while you are trying to solder them, due to steam further down the pipe. :LOL:

Also if the pipe 'falls' down to them you may have to drill a hole in the end to let water out before you sweat them off.

Compression fittings take up less room than pushfit if you can squeeze comp stopends you can reuse the nut and olives already on the pipe and change the blank for a coupling ;)

or solder a 90 with an offcut on it, with a pushfit stopend or even a handy little isolator valve on the other end of the offcut ;) Gives you something to grip onto when you come to dismantle the joint

Sponsored Links
Once you get the old fitting off, re-heat the pipe to melt the residual solder, and 'wipe' it off while still molten with some steel wool.

Don't burn fingers!

don't know what to do now. Did think about putting a service valve on then cutting the olive and that off but there just isn't room between the airing cupboard and the bath panel to put a pipe joiner on :rolleyes:

Once you get the old fitting off, re-heat the pipe to melt the residual solder, and 'wipe' it off while still molten with some steel wool.

Don't burn fingers!

I always get the file out as it saves on the gas! :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back