Heating Pump Bleed Screw Orientation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a suspicion of a fault and solution and would welcome any comments either supportive or critical. I have looked through the forums and do not see this, but I apologise if it is already covered.

Background. I am DIYer: At sisters house, a leaking lock shield needed replacing on an upstairs rad so decision to replace this as well as fit TRV. Partial drain off, rad removed, cleaned, refitted, filled. Pump off when rads refilled.

Problem: Heat did not get past pump; air lock diagnosed, ‘usual’ tricks applied (bled pump, rads, rechecked header, no good.

Called qualified engineer, confirmed air lock, disabled thermostat on boiler for a short time (less than a minute) to increase heat and ‘boil’ pressure through. Successful, heating working better than it has done for months apparently….

Learned/surmised air had been entering the pump persistently. I suspect it is the layout of the installation at fault.

The hot output exits the boiler low down, and travels vertically up, takes a 90 degree turn to horizontal to the pump, then a short horizontal run to a 90 degree turn downwards on the vertical. The pump bleed screw is facing me. I suspect this upturned ‘U’ bend arrangement allows air to be caught in the upper half of the pump, and the bleed vale being only half way up as it were, will not get all air out. I think there is space to loosen the pump and rotate it such that the bleed screw is at the very top of this U bend. Does this make sense?

System:
Gravity fed system – 2 storey house.
Header tank & Valve fine.
Boiler Glow Worm Hideaway; floor mounted in kitchen (ground floor).
Problem: Repeated / persistent air in pump.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back