heatline C28 Boiler - Diverter valve leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a problem with my Heatline C28 boiler, there was a leak from the diverter valve pin. I called a boiler engineer and he said this a a common problem with this type of boiler. He said it will cost about £480 to fix this. I was too expensive. So I searched on the internet and came across this forum with similar threads.

I bought the Heatline Diverter Valve & Actuator Motor D003200039 3003200039 kit.

The two two 2 amp fuses which blew on the PCB were replaced.

I carefully unscrewed the old black screw-top cap from the front of the diverter valve. Unfortunately I could not pull out the pin and the assembly from the valve. It seemed stuck. I thought it would easily come out and it was a case of swapping the parts with the assembly bits in the correct order.

So I left the pin and the assembly bit and put the new (front) screw-top cap. The leak stopped (phewww...) but then when I fired up the boiler I get hot water but the radiators are only luke warm. The boiler heats the radiator water for a bit then cuts out. Then comes on after the water temperature drops (the temp is displayed on the front panel) and it heats up again. It seems the boiler stops heating when the water temperature in the boiler goes above a certain point. It then starts up to heat after a while when the water temp goes below a certain point.

I am guessing the valve is partially open for radiators but not enough so the water gets too hot in the boiler and stops for a while. Then when it cools down starts up again. The radiators stay luke warm because of this. Not enough hot water circulating through constantly.

The only choice I have left is to remove the valve and then remove the back screw-top cap and hope the parts come of easily. If not I have to buy a diverter valve and replace it.

There are no instructions on how to remove the diverter valve. It is somehow connected to the secondary heat exchanger. How it is attached I cant see. Can some guide me with step by step on how to remove the diverter valve? If by any chance you are doing similar work, picture would be helpful.

Any help would be grateful.

Thanks
Vinny

Sponsored Links
Advice on DIY boiler work is not allowed on this forum for good reason. Get an engineer in who has experience on that boiler and let him do it properly.

Ask what you want but starting off by saying a professional was too expensive then something about buying your own parts and wasting loads of time then asking for step by step guide on now how to fix it probably isn't gonna get many replies. :LOL:

Get the manual, brief guide on diverter replacement will be in there

Sponsored Links
Parts for Heatline are very expensive (as you have found out) the boiler is probably not worth repairing (Heatline boilers sold cheap - they make their money selling spares - and you need lots of them too!) ;)

After reading through countless forums, I'm quite disappointed in the lack of help there is out there, almost like there's a click! If you're competent with hand tools, I don't see the problem with having a go at fixing water parts in a boiler, cause frankly i've had some ridiculous quotes in the past that have cost me pennies to fix myself. And if the part is broken anyway and you can't fix it, then you'll have to phone an engineer anyway, so what's there to lose! I inherited a heatline boiler when I bought my first house and it's still going and working great. I've had engineers round who say they won't touch it because it's a cheap boiler and the parts are expensive and quoted me for a new boiler, I can't afford that! I have had quite a few leaks you see, mainly from plastic parts which thread into brass, ie flow sensor (£18) and diverter valve (£14 repair kit) where the washers have failed. both were an easy and cheap fix, other leaks were simple nipping up with a spanner. The last part to fail on me was the pressure gauge, engineer quoted £65 for part and £40 fitting, replaced the part for £20, very simple fix. I am by no means an expert nor am I advocating DIY on your boiler, but I am not in a position to get a new boiler, nor pay hundreds for a simple part swap!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back