Heatslave 20/25 - Actuator rattling

So, just incase any of you folk are interested, here's what the result was:

The actuator was goosed. Once I took the control box off I could see inside the actuator, the plastic cam type thing that's attached to the motor was snapped inside (see pic). The valve itself had plenty of free movement so I left it in situ.

New actuator and it's all hunkydory!...... almost.

I'd drained the system down in anticipation of swapping the valve, and to sort the loss of pressure issue out as Boilerman2 advised, however water came out of the schrader valve. I'm assuming the expansion vessel is knackered?

Here's the pic, you can see the plastic bit that snapped off the cam. There is no plastic cover as 50% of it had already broken off whilst inside the boiler!

Sponsored Links
Plenty of water out of the schrader valve means the diaphragm in the EV has called it a day...repressurise the new one with it disconnected from the system.
Interesting post, that!
John :)

Hi mate what's your definition of "plenty" of water?
I pushed the pin in got some water out, enough to make me need to wipe it off and not want let any more to come out! Would you say I should have left it for longer, say a few seconds?

Sponsored Links
The expansion vessel is basically a pressed steel chamber, where the two halves are separated by a rubber diaphragm.
In theory, water can't pass from one side to the other ( the schraeder valve side) but there will be a little condensation or vapour which can pass through the membrane.
To me, ( and this is only my theory), if there is a good squirt of water out of the valve, the EV has had it, but I'm no expert!
If there's more water in there, things don't look too good....nothing to stop you removing the vessel, taking the valve out and turning it upside down, to see what comes out.
When you repressurise with air, 10 psi is a good starting point, but maybe your manufacturers instructions could be more accurate.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back