Height of extension under the new (temporary) planning rules

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of building an extension of 5m in depth under the new planning rules (prior approval householder notification). When the architect submitted the plans to the local authority planning department he stated a height of 3.34 metres for the extension.

The contractor has just finished building the walls and will start work on the roof in the next couple of days. According to my calculations the height of the extension will be about 3.50 to 3.60 metres. I know that under the permitted development rules the maximum height of the extension is 4m but my concern is that since we have stated a height of 3.34 metres on the proposal will be a problem with local authority especially if neighbours complain.

Am I right to be concerned or should I just continue with the work and hope for the best. Furthermore, would this be something that the Building Control Officer will look into (ie measure the extension when completed before issuing a certificate).

Thanks

faraon

Sponsored Links
1. Building Inspectors do not normally check measurements - they just look at the standard of that work which is subject to building regs.

2. If the neighbour doesn't object, you're probably in the clear as long as no other objection is raised within the next 4 years; if the neighbour does object, the LPA can say that you have exceeded the quoted limit on height and that the work is not therefore permitted development.

(Your architect was a bit slow on this. He should have stated 'maximum height to ridge 4m' or words to that effect. This would have covered you. If the neighbour was going to object, he would have objected regardless of what height was stated).

Im not a planning expert but ive done a fair few extensions and I think the chances of the inspector even checking or caring are minimal.

I also wonder if in the unlikely event of him measuring from ridge to ground and it being too big weather you could claim that you took your datum from a point where ground level is higher (not many sites are flat) Hopefully someone who knows more about planning can answer that point??

But id be amazed if you have problems. They are usually only there a few minutes for the signing off.

It helps if you do what we do whenever the officer comes out. Be polite, offer him a cup of tea, laugh at his jokes etc. A workmate of mine even offers them breakfast/lunch. Theyre less likely to be pedantic when youve just given him a sausage. Well you know what I mean.

Im not a planning expert but ive done a fair few extensions and I think the chances of the inspector even checking or caring are minimal.

I also wonder if in the unlikely event of him measuring from ridge to ground and it being too big weather you could claim that you took your datum from a point where ground level is higher (not many sites are flat) Hopefully someone who knows more about planning can answer that point??

But id be amazed if you have problems. They are usually only there a few minutes for the signing off.

It helps if you do what we do whenever the officer comes out. Be polite, offer him a cup of tea, laugh at his jokes etc. A workmate of mine even offers them breakfast/lunch. Theyre less likely to be pedantic when youve just given him a sausage. Well you know what I mean.

Sponsored Links
With the limited information supplied, it sounds as though you have a bedroom window above the extension, and this is why Architect has specified 3340 to get roof and flashing below cill.
If this is the case, on a 4800 half span over the plate it will give you a rise of 900 and a pitch of 9 degrees wnich is as much use as a chocolate kettle.
One other thing with pitch line of 4860 even with 47x200 rafters you will need a centre purlin.
Regards oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back