Height of rear extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of building a rear extension on our terrace house. We obtained full planning permission for a 4.5m deep extension 3.2m high.

Unfortunately for a number of reasons the 3.2m height is under threat.
1. Finished floor to external ground level is higher at the rear of the extension compared to the original back of house. Slight slope in garden.
2. Joists need to be an extra 50mm deep (now span width rather than depth of extension (structural issues tie into existing house)
3. The slop of the roof increases things an extra 50mm as we now are sloping across the longer width rather than depth.

In all increasing circa 300-400mm above what is shown on the planning drawings if you measure at the rear of the extension.
And about 200 if measured at the back of the existing house.
What are my options really?

1. Change roof detail. Not really acceptable in terms of appearance (warm flat roof with parapet to oversailing roof edge). Will look different to what was shown on planning.
2. Discuss with planners and put building on height, missing deadline for arrival of baby - not ideal/=divorce.
3. Build extra height and hope for the best. I.e. will a planning officer ever check the height? I know the neighbour doesn't mind.
4. Build and get retrospective planning condition amendement.

Sponsored Links
What does your designer think you should do? He seems to have drawn something that couldn't be built as per his drawings.

Why are you sloping the roof differently.

Realistically if the neighbours genuinely wont kick off then probably just get on with it and start taking sleeping pills to help you get through the night, if you are of a nervous disposition. Though the baby will be keeping you up anyway! :p

The neighbour might not mind but what happens when we come to sell. Will buyers be looking for a planning sign off letter showing discharge of planning conditions? I had this on the last flat I sold where I did not have evidence that the planning condition were discharged (the works were undertaken prior to us purchasing the property). I ended up having to buy an indemnity policy to cover this. Fortunately I was able to recover the cost (200 quid or so from my previous solicitor).

There isn't a condition saying they'll come back and measure the height before occupation is there?

Though there will be a condition that states you should build as per the approved drawings.

Planning won't pop round at the end to sign it off unless its maybe a listed building or some other oddity you've left out of the thread?

Sponsored Links
I had this on the last flat I sold where I did not have evidence that the planning condition were discharged (the works were undertaken prior to us purchasing the property). I ended up having to buy an indemnity policy to cover this.

200 quid is
a) a drop in the ocean of the size of funds transfer involved in exchanging property
b) considerably cheaper than the process of discharging most planning conditions would be

I'd say you got a good deal there

did the plans show the ground levels/slopes relative to existing structures? Might be easiest just to build the ground level up if you feel someone will come looking

Not a listed building and not in a conservation area or anything.

Did not show slop of the land on the drawings.

There are a couple of ways to improve the situation.
Confirm the new size of joists, the joist span and that they are running flank to flank and not from existing house wall to rear of new extension.
Regards oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back