Help! A newly plastered wall disaster...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

If anyone can help me you will save me from a DIY induced tantrum...

About three months ago I had my lounge and dining room walls re-plastered.
The plasterer said to leave the walls to fully dry out before doing anything with them. I have lived with plastered walls for all this time until last weekend. Following his instruction I did a ghost coat '2 parts emulsion, 1 part water and a splosh of PVA'. I was told that there may be some bleed through (which there was) and to paint over the stains with ZINSSER B.I.N (which I did). I have today painted my walls with emulsion however, the paint wont stick to the ZINNSER painted areas or the ZINNSER is bleeding through (I really can't tell which one) so I have cream walls with white splodges all over them.... What can I do??

If anyone knows how to resolve this problem you would really help me out.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
At a guess I think that prior to painting your finish colour you failed to make every part of the wall the same colour, the ZINNISER being a different tone

I would go and buy 10 Litres of white matt emulsion and cover every wall maybe 2, 3 or 4 times over the ZINNISER, until every part of the wall IS the same tone of white

Then re-apply your cream finish coat

Maybe a long ass way but I am anal when it comes to whiting rooms out, but my finish coat is always spot on because of it

Good luck

The walls prior to the plaster job were shocking - black oily marks etc. I also had a re-wire prior to the plaster job and a lot of the bleed through appears to have come from the browning used to fill the holes that were in the walls...

Thanks for the tip about painting my walls 3 or 4 times............ If that is what it takes then that is what I will do. It has been suggested that I use flat paint - not sure what this is but if I do use flat paint can I use emulsion over it?

Sponsored Links
The walls prior to the plaster job were shocking - black oily marks etc. I also had a re-wire prior to the plaster job and a lot of the bleed through appears to have come from the browning used to fill the holes that were in the walls...

Thanks for the tip about painting my walls 3 or 4 times............ If that is what it takes then that is what I will do. It has been suggested that I use flat paint - not sure what this is but if I do use flat paint can I use emulsion over it?

I have no idea either what flat paint is, as a rule though I use MATT emulsion to white out all my rooms, as long as there are no stains coming through ide proceed with whiting out but as its been suggested start a new thread in painting section put a link in to this one

There may be a less time consuming method so best to check anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back