Help/Advice Needed - PLASTERING !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, just looking for some guidance and advice really.

I'm looking for a career change, never done it before, nothing like to be honest.

But i am looking to go into the plastering business.

What do people honestly think of these 5 day intensive platering courses. I heard good and bad things about them? Will it get me far??

I also live in the Wolverhampton area, nearest place i can find who do these courses is Nuneaton (about 35 mile away)

Does anyone know of anywhere closer who do these courses also.

All replies & advise be greatly appreciated.

Regards

John

Sponsored Links
John,

Useful thread here which I posted something in re courses.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80651&highlight=

Basically, the only way to become a good plasterer is by practice. Obviously the best way to practice is by doing a college course followed by an apprenticeship but generally no one other than school leavers can do this due to financial commitments etc.

I did a course and found it useful. I didn't expect to become a brilliant plasterer by the end of the course. I just wanted to know the techniques and things. I've been DIY plastering since and am becoming reasonable at it. However, I'm nowhere near fast enough or good enough to make a living from it yet.

I'm facing redundancy in the next few weeks and have some serious decisions to make. I'm tempted to do a follow up course of Advanced Skimming which I feel, with a bit more practice, can probably get me going into a career as a plasterer if I so wish. However, I wouldn't be able to compete with a time served plasterer in terms of speed and quality so my prices would have to reflect this.

However, everyone has to start somewhere and once started, practice would be a daily event.

So my advice. Don't expect to be able to leave your job as soon as you finish the course. You need to practice, practice and practice some more. Then maybe practice a little more still. Do small jobs for family and friends to gain a bit more experience. Then think about building business whilst you're working by doing little evening and weekend jobs for joe public. When business starts to grow and you're confident you're good enough you can start thinking about handing in your notice and going full time.

Sadly that last bit (about building business before giving up your job) isn't an option for me - I'm not ready to give up work to do plastering full time but I don't really have any choice about when I leave my current job.

It'll be hard work too - don't expect it to be easy.

Regards

Fred.

Fred, thanks a lot for your reply. appreciated.

I was expecting to stay in my job for a bit to be honest, do odd jobs here and see how it goes.....

After reading a lot of comments regarding these courses, it looks as though time and practice is something that will help you big time in this industry.

Thanks again

John

I obtained a DVD of one of the courses. (note I'm not a plasterer but a DIYer)

It covered the basics such as boarding/scrim/beading/bonding and skimming plus a bit on rendering. But it only covered plastering over nice smooth, uniform-suction board.

What it did not cover is how to deal with different suction backgrounds (i.e. bricks/blocks/other plaster/render/lime plaster etc), how to go about patching up real messy uneven backgrounds etc where wiring/pipes have been ripped out, how to repair/fill lath and plaster ceilings etc etc.

The list goes on but you get the picture - all this stuff is discovered and learnt through experience. I guess though that there may be more specific courses which cover the whole 9 yards but these will cost money, and you won't be able to earn anything for the week you're attending them.

Sponsored Links
Interesting topic.

Here's my 2p:

I had a plasterer in the other day. He said it was a dying trade. New houses (his bread & butter) are typically not using plasterers but just taping and painting the plasterboards.

mrgtv said:
Interesting topic.

Here's my 2p:

I had a plasterer in the other day. He said it was a dying trade. New houses (his bread & butter) are typically not using plasterers but just taping and painting the plasterboards.

There's plenty of private work out there though. From patching to repairing water damage to re-skimming poorly finished walls.

Also, for site work such as that noted above, someone has to stick the boards up and then tape and joint. Another potential job for a plasterer with the right skills.

Another thing too - the people buying these houses, once they've moved in and lived in the house for a year or two will be needing plasterers to come and skim the plasterboard to hide all the damage that's been done to it through general wear and tear.

I suspect when your plasterer said it was a dying trade, what he really meant was things have moved on and more plasterers have joined the trade so there isn't the massive skills shortage there once was.

Hi jpowell962. I done a 5 day course several years ago and I would say it's essential if your thinking of a career in plastering. The course may cost several hundred pounds, but you'll get that back with just a few small jobs for friends and family. I also done a course in taping and jointing, which was useful too. As for plastering being a dying trade, that's not my experience. I found people throwing work at me even tho I wasn't that experienced. Freds posts are spot on . Just go for it. and good luck.

P.S. I done my course in Yeovil and there was a guy there from Wolverhamton. in fact there was even a guy there from Newcastle, so don't worry about the traveling too much, just book a B&B and make a holiday out of it.

What about conservation plastering with lime?

Rennovation and restoration is currently enjoying a huge popularity boost. There is a serious shortage of plasterers that have had experience with lime putty and hydraulic lime plastering and rendering. It's also much more forgiving to use than gypsum and portland.

good idea :idea: also Venetian plastering is a easy(for a half decent spread) method of creating a nice decorative effect...........the sites are swamped with cheap labour from the EU....and there`s no craftsmanship in new build ....hasn`t been for years.........satisfying job...get into conservation and live like a pauper, but sleep@ night :LOL: 35 miles to the nearest course ....bet it don`t take an hour and a half like it takes to go 35 miles in this poxi County of Sussex :rolleyes: Go 4 it and Good Luck ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back