help and guidance - block or timber frame s/s extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there -
we're at the start of our s/s rear extension (groundwork started this week). The builder has said he wants to switch from block built to a timber frame build, with an outer skin of hardboard - which we'll ultimately render in monocouche.

I'm a complete novice to the building trade, but the switch fills me with suspicion - does timber frame with this outer skin make sense? Is it cheaper (i can see it's faster), does it have the longevity - am i worryingly too much?

All advice most welcome!

Sponsored Links
I can see where a timber framed building with a masonry clad outer skin is beneficial but not where the OUTER skin is timber.

Particularly one that is being rendered.

Hardboard...really? :eek:

Thanks, I've asked for more details. He mentioned 'hardy' boards? Does that make any difference?

Sponsored Links
It sounds to me that your builder does not have a clue about building. Hardy boards (ie HardieBacker boards) are for bathrooms!

You need to be vary careful with timber framed buildings at the best of times, to make sure that they are properly built with accurate detailing to prevent the frame rotting from damp

Are building control involved in this work?

Ok, am deeply concerned now then. It feels like he's doing this to a) speed up the job, and b) sell me short.

Will have the spec tomorrow, which should give me all the detail. What can you use as outer skin on a timber frame, other than brick?

Really appreciating your help here fellas

You can use lots of things, but its not just a case of building a frame and sticking something on the outside.

The detailing is very important and is not for the clueless

I'm sure that there are some detailed sketches in other posts on here. Use the search

By the time he's orderded the frame, waited for delivery and erected it, he could of built it twice with brick & block...

There's nothing wrong with timber frame at all, but can't see why your builder would want to use it on a extension...? Just seems too much off a faff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back