Help and guidance in correcting my own cock-up...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi lads and lasses,

I am busily refurbishing a property - the ceilings had paper on them, which I removed, and the ceiling's surface then had a few swirly marks that looked like a paint or possibly some kind of glue. Maybe I could have just painted over it, but I wanted to remove it, so I tried scraping and it didn't come off, so I then tried scrubbing - no luck, so I resorted to caustic soda!

This is where I caused my troubles. I put a bit on and I left it for a while... little bits of the swirly marks were able to to be scraped off, but certainly not all of it... not the majority even.

Encouraged(!) by this, I decided to ramp-up the caustic soda concentration and the time it was left on... I put a lot more on and I left it overnight.

I returned the following morning to find that it had 'eaten' its way through things, so the ceiling surface was no longer flat... it was more like the surface of the Moon.

Damn!

I've given it a good clean with sugar soap, I've tried to fill it with Gyproc joint cement (and in some areas pre-mixed plaster) using a taping knife... it then looks OK - at least it's level - after I've left it to dry, but now paint will not properly adhere to it. It keeps bubbling away and ending up like this... then I have to scrape it again and try once more...

ceiling.jpg

Can anyone offer me any advice as to what I should be doing to recover this? If you want to have a good laugh at me, that's OK, I can take it.

Sponsored Links
I won't laugh at you, but I'm pretty sure you know it wasn't the best idea you've had!.
Caustic soda is an alkali so you may benefit from applying a coat of alkali resistant primer to the area. Dry scrape all the loose stuff off first, then ensure the plaster is completely dry before applying the ARP. Once the primer is dry, you can fine fill where the paint has been scraped off, re-prime and then use your emulsion. I can't guarantee this will work as I've never had the same situation, but I'm assuming that the caustic soda hasn't been neutralised enough and any form of waterborne moisture is probably making it reactivate.

Like all of the worst ideas, at the time it seemed like the best idea...

I will look into this, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back