Help any triton shower experts, please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi wonder if you can help me, I am recently retired building services engineer so have meters and can test electrics, water pressures, etc., on this shower. My father has a Topaz 100i and I have been through the forum and checked through all the similar problems but still have a problem and would appreciate any help as we are stumped.

Their shower keeps going cold like many I read about on this forum and auto reset and low pressure come on intermittently followed by cold water. Auto reset goes off fairly quickly but low pressure sometimes stays on keeping water cold and won’t go off without turning unit off and on to get it back to normal working

This is where I am at, I tested the house for pressure and was surprised to find my father has 5.5 bar water supply to his house, so quite strong compared to many I tested before. I then tested right behind the shower water inlet to prove this pressure is getting there and there are no restrictions/valves etc. I found the same pressure here. I then tested with kitchen (mains fed ) tap full on and it dropped to 2 bar although they never have it open full normally and not at all now because shower is playing up, but 2 bar is quite adequate anyway even if they did.
So plenty of pressure, I then tested electrically. Looking at this diagram

http://showerdoc.co.uk/shower-spares/triton/topaz-t100i-electric.html

I metered across thermal cut-out on top of the heater can assembly and found 240v both sides i.e. looks like switch is normally made during operation. I then metered across the switch on the outlet pipe assembly which says it is also a TCO in the shower manual and this gave 24v whilst in use on both sides so looks normally made during operation also. What I am really curious about is how this unit can bring up a low pressure warning light when the only sensors I can find are the 2 TCO (thermal cut-outs), it makes me doubt the bottom one is a thermal cut-out and is maybe is in fact a pressure sensor. But it refers to this as a TCO several times in the manual so how is it detecting pressure, where is this mystery sensor?

I have played with the stabiliser valve with the cover off, i.e. I have found it goes much further than the dial on the front cover will allow before hitting its true stops. By doing this I managed to get a really powerful shower going, only trouble is the heaters could not cope and cold water came out even though the both heater relays were energised thus energising the elements, and therefore trying to heat the water. You may ask why I messed about with this, well the reason I altered it was because I found that the low pressure light extinguished doing this as if the pressure coming out of the outlet was too low in pressure and that was causing the problem. Next to try and get optimum performance from the shower I started turning it so it gave maximum pressure but cold water and then slowly turned it down to decrease the water pressure coming out of the hose until it was producing hot water, thus giving me hot water at the best pressure this shower can manage. By then turning the dial on the cover to maximum and fitting the cover back, it was set to give that pressure at that temperature at maximum.

By doing this I thought I had cracked the problem as it seemed to be working the best it could with no faults, but I then turned it down with the cover on as per normal use to 9, the setting my father uses and in seconds the low pressure light lit and the water went cold and would not stabilise. I had to turn it off and on again to get it working. But now as before i touched it, it brings up low pressure whenever it is turned to 9 or below, so I have actually achieved nothing.

My guess is that the outlet assembly contains a pressure switch and not a TCO otherwise how does it detect pressure is low? If I am right this needs replacing as the shower water comes out with reasonable pressure although nowhere near 5 bar I reckon, which is a great pity as I have proved you can get a load of pressure out but only if you like it cold.

Anyway I would appreciate any help as I am stuck now.

Sponsored Links
I metered across thermal cut-out on top of the heater can assembly and found 240v both sides i.e. looks like switch is normally made during operation.
Yes. This switch opens when the temperature exceeds a safe level.

I then metered across the switch on the outlet pipe assembly which says it is also a TCO in the shower manual and this gave 24v whilst in use on both sides so looks normally made during operation also.
Yes. This switch also opens when the temperature exceeds a safe level.

What I am really curious about is how this unit can bring up a low pressure warning light when the only sensors I can find are the 2 TCO (thermal cut-outs)
Low pressure warning is caused by the microswitch on the power PCB opening.

it makes me doubt the bottom one is a thermal cut-out
Stop doubting it - it's definitely a TCO.

and is maybe is in fact a pressure sensor.
Nope.

But it refers to this as a TCO several times in the manual so how is it detecting pressure, where is this mystery sensor?
On the power PCB. The switch is closed by an actuator in the stabiliser valve.

I have played with the stabiliser valve with the cover off
Oh dear.

You may ask why I messed about with this
Why did you mess about with this?

well the reason I altered it was because I found that the low pressure light extinguished doing this as if the pressure coming out of the outlet was too low in pressure and that was causing the problem.
Oh.

Next to try and get optimum performance from the shower
This isn't a shower that you can "tune" for optimum performance.

I started turning it so it gave maximum pressure but cold water and then slowly turned it down to decrease the water pressure coming out of the hose until it was producing hot water, thus giving me hot water at the best pressure this shower can manage.
Oh dear. I hope you can put it back how you found it.

By doing this I thought I had cracked the problem as it seemed to be working the best it could with no faults, but I then turned it down with the cover on as per normal use to 9, the setting my father uses and in seconds the low pressure light lit and the water went cold and would not stabilise. I had to turn it off and on again to get it working. But now as before i touched it, it brings up low pressure whenever it is turned to 9 or below, so I have actually achieved nothing.
Hmm.

My guess is that the outlet assembly contains a pressure switch and not a TCO
Wrong guess. Most guesses do turn out to be wrong.

otherwise how does it detect pressure is low?
Please see above.

If I am right this needs replacing
You are wrong.

Anyway I would appreciate any help as I am stuck now.
If the stabiliser valve is actuating the microswitch correctly, then you need to replace the power PCB.

Otherwise, you need to replace the stabiliser valve.

Cheers softus for your witty and knowledgable answer, you are obviously the master on these showers, which I am grateful for as I did not anticipate having much success on here with this. Anyway I have not been able to get back to the shower at my fathers yet but so I understand this fully can you describe exactly where this actuator and microswitch are on confirm my thoughts on its location please?

I assume it is just above the stabliser valve under the rear printed circuit board as this is the closest point between the two. If this is so I am a little surprised since I did shine a torch in this area looking for basically any electrical link between the two and spotted nothing, so I assume I did not look carefully enough, plus I was expecting wires so that would not have helped in locating it. Also I don't seem to be able to find any exploded view of this area which is a shame.

Also I assume that as the shower ages the microswitch wears a little groove in the actuator causing this problem. I have heard of a Triton engineer curing this problem with a bent piece of plastic in just a few minutes and then it working fine for ever after etc, but I am not sure whether this is a bodge and results in defeating a safety device. If this is the case and I spotted for example the groove in the actuator or some sort of damage to the microswitch, I think I feel I would be more inclined to change the relevant part as you describe, I just hope I can see this part. Can you see it without any dismantling do you know?

I did not anticipate having much success on here with this.
Oh ye of little faith. ;)

Anyway I have not been able to get back to the shower at my fathers yet but so I understand this fully can you describe exactly where this actuator and microswitch are on confirm my thoughts on its location please?
I think you know where to look - between the stabiliser valve and the PCB.

I assume it is just above the stabliser valve under the rear printed circuit board as this is the closest point between the two.
There y' go - you knew all the time.

If this is so I am a little surprised since I did shine a torch in this area looking for basically any electrical link between the two and spotted nothing, so I assume I did not look carefully enough, plus I was expecting wires so that would not have helped in locating it.
Quite so - no wires.

However, there's a slim chance that I've given you a small bum steer, because I have mental picture of the T100Si parts, but can't quite summon the details of the T100i Topaz. Mind you, they're nearly identical.

Also I don't seem to be able to find any exploded view of this area which is a shame.
I agree, and I think if you look up the dictionary definition of "it's a shame", it would say "not being able to find a Triton shower exploded diagram".

Also I assume that as the shower ages the microswitch wears a little groove in the actuator causing this problem.
I've never seen that happen, but I suppose it could.

I have heard of a Triton engineer curing this problem with a bent piece of plastic in just a few minutes and then it working fine for ever after etc, but I am not sure whether this is a bodge and results in defeating a safety device.
Well there are so many safety devices that each one is not critical.

If this is the case and I spotted for example the groove in the actuator or some sort of damage to the microswitch, I think I feel I would be more inclined to change the relevant part as you describe, I just hope I can see this part. Can you see it without any dismantling do you know?
Um, you mean without removing anything other than the front cover? If so, then yes.

I've just looked at the Topaz block diagram again, and it shows a part that I didn't remember - the "actuator", part no. 7051704.

If you have a local isolator valve, you should be able to simulate loss of water by closing this while the shower is running - you should then see the microswitch operate.

Clearly you would want to pull the 240V leads off the power PCB before mucking around in there.

Sponsored Links
Flicking through I don't think it has been mentioned, but these usually have an inlet filter that often gets clogged up with muck after roadworks etc on the pipes outside., this causes problems with the pressure & is easy enough to clean by removing the water inlet pipes & scraping out with a soft "thingy" :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back