Help boiler heating water but not radiators (freezing house)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just wondered if anyone can pass on some advise please

my setup is as follows:

3 storey house (barrett type)

Potterton Suprema l40 Boiler (upgraded PCB)
Potterton Ep2002 programmer
Potterton T40 thermostat
Santon premier plus tank

My problem is my boiler is heating up my water no problem, but it doesnt seem to want to heat up our radiators

now with my little knowledge on boilers i have carried out a few tests,

1, use some hot water up, tank communicates with boiler and the boiler fires up fine a warms fresh water up in tank no problems

2, i have turned my thermostat up to 30 deg put a bag of frozen peas over thermostat for about 2 mins and no response from boiler

3, have tried to reset boiler but still nothing

4, i have a seperate channel on my system which runs out to my koi pond (indoor) this is controlled by its own thermostat but is only used to stop water going a really low temp so isnt used much, as a test i set my desired temp to 12 deg, koi thermostat is reading at 8 deg and is set to warm up when the temp drops 0.5 deg below the desired temp, a few seconds later boiler fires up and starts to warm up my channel going to koi pond

So from this my conclusion is the boiler is working fine, but seems to me my room thermostat is no working or a pump or valve is not working which releases hot water around the radiator system, but my feeling is its the termostat as even when set at 30 deg and the house is freezing the boiler isnt even attempting to fire up

One other thing that maybe something or not, in the cupboard with the hot water tank there seems to be a valve that is working but is making a loud noise, vibrating!! im unsure what this valve is for but it is a Myson power extra MPE222

Any help would be great thanks

Sponsored Links
its ure motorised valve faulty in airing cupboard,im pretty sure u can get the valve heads for those potterton ones,either replace the head (straight forward just unscrew the 2 screws and it comes off.failing that just but a complete honeywell 3 port valve,drain system and fit valve :)

Hi, its the divetor valve, costs approx £98, ours went on boxing day !!!!! and we had the same probs you are having but now we are nice and cosy

Hi, its the divetor valve, costs approx £98, ours went on boxing day !!!!! and we had the same probs you are having but now we are nice and cosy

The valve the op quotes is a 2 port valve ...so no divertor valve unless there is a 3 port he isint telling us about.

Sponsored Links
As already said change the head on the myson, no need to drain down, it sounds like its on its last legs anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back