Help - bottom locking French door bolt dropped..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have attached pics (I hope) of our french doors that turn with a special key, seems to have fixed itself and dropped internally as the key no longer has any 'purchase' and we can't undo the lock, hence not being able to open our french doors?!

I think this has just 'stuck' over time and over the winter?

IMG_7398.JPG

IMG_7397.JPG

IMG_7397.JPG

I'm pretty sure I have seen these keys before and they are used on other doors, but just wondered if anyone had any solutions for freeing this and stopping it happening again? before I have to hacksaw (or find a way) of cutting a metal bolt from the bottom of the door thats stuck into its hole?

(hope this makes sense)!

Sponsored Links
Thank you, so you mean a new key (identical to what i have here?)

Is it the key thats the problem then, as it spins around in the lock without gripping the lock/bolt :(

A bit of both I expect, worn key and worn lock a new key (hopefully) will compensate enough to open it.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks will try this, and try another key, as well as WD-40 in the lock and hole

that type of bolt has a spring that (is supposed to) catch in the teeth when you take the key out. This prevents anyone pushing the bolt back through the jam, for example with a knife blade, and locks the bolt in position. The key pushes the spring aside when you insert it.

in your case I think the spring has failed and the bolt has fallen. You will not be able to withdraw it with any key, and lube will not help. The splines on your key are not worn so that is not the problem.

If you go round to the opening side of the door, and run a flat, thin bladed knife into the gap under the door, you will be able to press it against the side of the bolt, and move it a fraction of an inch according to the size of the gap. With a knife blade on each side, you can prevent it dropping down again, and move the bolt slowly upwards against gravity. Or if you have a multicutter or padsaw, you can cut through the bolt. The bolt is plain brass so not difficult to cut.

You will then have to take the door off to extract the old rackbolt and fit a new one.

Buy your new mortice bolt in advance and tinker with it on the kitchen table, you will see how it is made and what I mean.

The design is very old and simple, versions are sold under various brands. I have seen Chubb and Yale ones which are still working after 50 years, and have also used Screwfix ones that aren't.

Remove the escutcheon and you'll get a certain amount of access to the rack mechanism. Often enough you can get in there with an electricians tiny screwdriver and release the locking strip which allows the rack to be raised.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back