HELP - Caulking smell / fumes - Lethal for parrots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

Need some urgent help please.
I got all the windows and Patio door replaced in my house on Mon/Tue. The installers used caulking on the patio door bottom (where it meets the tile) and the sides. Caulking was called Supra.

I have a beloved parrot at home, and had relocated him to my parent's house. was planning to bring him back on Tue, when I noticed the smell from the caulking. Good thing I did and did some research. Caulking smell/fumes are absolutely deadly for birds.

so urgently need help please in getting rid of the smell/fumes. I live in Toronto, Canada. Tried turning off the heat, and opening the windows, but within 30 mins house is at 10 degrees, and pipes are in danger of freezing. have exhaust fans in kitchen and bathroom running 24x7. smell is still there. It is most evident when I enter the house (heat on, windows closed)

Is there any way to get rid of the fumes/smell quickly? Will turning on the heat of the house to extra high help? Could anyone please let me know how long does it take for the smell to dissipate? and any way (other than my nose) to check if its safe for my parrot to come back? Is there any air test that can be done?

sorry about the long post, but am at my wits's end. Any help would be highly appreciated

Kind Regards
Shahrukh

Sponsored Links
Not a wind up, birds are more sensitive to noxious gases (hence the canary down the coal mine). The wife is an exotics vet, so while my info is second hand there is plenty of credit to it.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
ISTR this exact post sometime last year???

Can't find it in the search though, perhaps it was when I was testing my time machine?

OP, open all your windows, get some fans around, blow the fumes away.

Keep your parrot away until it's safe.

ISTR this exact post sometime last year???

Can't find it in the search though, perhaps it was when I was testing my time machine?

OP, open all your windows, get some fans around, blow the fumes away.

Keep your parrot away until it's safe.

Doors and windows open should do the job I would have thought.
A similar question was asked in the decorating forum and I suggested an activated charcoal type of cloth , perhaps it's the thread you are thinking about matty?
//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/how-to-temporarily-cover-toxic-dried-damp-wall.419353/

Sponsored Links
Back