Help Choosing Plasteboard Fixings and Screws for Hanging Curtain Wire Fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to secure some of these curtain wire fittings to the plasterboard ceiling above my windows so I can hang some curtains from them.

The curtains weigh around 2kg in total which is well below the limit for those fittings (I'm also using extra supports across the stretch).

The problem is I don't know what type of plasterboard fixings / screws to use to secure them to the ceiling. The instructions only say that the heads need to be countersunk (step 4)

Would something like these be suitable if I bought some different screws that had countersunk heads and if so how do I know what size screws to buy (length and headsize) ?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
notsurewhattoputhere, Hi

When you say you want to fix these devices above your window at ceiling level, there is a very high probability that there will be a timber bearer situated at the edge of the ceiling where it meets the wall plasterboard, in every ceiling I have seen there is a "Noggin" [English] or "Dwang" [Scottish] piece of timber fixed between the ceiling, or first floor joists, the purpose of the bearer is to ensure that the ceiling plasterboard is held firmly in place.

These bearers are invariably 50.mm x 50.mm so in theory you have the potential to fix your curtain track to the Bearer? even if you only get 2 Screws into the bearer the track will be held in place.

Ken.

With the leverage involved and torque from the wire any fixing not into timber is likely to be ripped out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back