Help - Cracked lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the title, I think I have a cracked lintel and I'm not sure if its a problem.

Yesterday we had an open fire with a stone cladding around it. Today I've taken off all the stone cladding around our fireplace and taken out the pre-cast concrete fire back in preparation for a new surround and inset burner. I have noticed a small crack in the lintel and I'm not sure if I should be worried out not. Pictures below.

You can't see it to well from the pictures, but the crack is about 2 inches to the left of the edge of the block that the lintel is sat on ie there is about 2 inches of the lintel transferring the load onto the block. In addition, I can't see if the lintel is cracked all the way through as there is cement on there that isn't cracked and I'm not minded to start chiselling it off and potentially make things worse.

Because there is about 2 inches that is transferring the load, I'm hoping this is OK. Be great to get some opinions from you guys on here. I can take some more pictures etc if needed.

IMAG0848.jpg
IMAG0851.jpg
IMAG0853.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back