Help Deciding items for alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking to install an alarm and just wanted people thoughts on what i had planned and if it's overkill - Below is a rough floorplan of my house (sorry one i borrowed and amended - next door really )

The red dot indicate PIR location - green rectangle are shock detectors one on patio and one on kitchen window - blue rectangle is Door Contact on front door and yellow rectangle is approx location of alarm main box

So my questions are

1) Is PIR in Kitchen overkill - Kitchen has boiler installed in it too
2) Generally the location and direction of PIR are they ok
3) Should front door have shock or normal door contact - only reason i ask few doors down door was broken then burgled - so if had shock alarm would go off 1st or do alarms do both now

floor plan.jpg

Any other suggestion also welcome i.e if anything need relocating or something different installed

Probably be looking at texcom or honeywell - although most alarm companies do similar shock , pir and contacts

Sponsored Links
Similar layout to my downstairs. Don't really need that PIR above the front door. The only entry point is the front door that has a contact so bit of a waste. Someone may say different but I wouldn't have that there.

My PIR cause the alarm to go off instantly if I had that setup walking through my front door would set the alarm off every time and I would be rushing to turn it off, the door contacts are on 10 second delays.

My kitchen window is big and a PIR in there is nessercary I would say the same if someone could get through your kitchen window.

I would keep the hall pir !

For what reason Sparky?

I do have a PIR at top of stairs so that is also covered so if someone did break in upstairs they would not get down stairs to the alarm panel. Other that than I can't see a reason to have it as all angles are covered.

Sponsored Links
Depends on front door ...upvc doors can have the panels smashed out leaving the frame intact , also toilet window if left ajar !

Yes I guess I am thinking purely of my setup they are valid reasons if someone could smash through your door without actually opening it or the toilet window is big enough.

In kitchen there won't be any issue wit false alarm due to boiler

Also I read best not pointing PIR to window which means I have one option of having pir above units now not sure if will lose effectiveness

Other option is near door wall that sort of points to cooker / window

Pir should not look directly at boiler ?
Some detectors have ceiling brackets which will allow you to fit pir above cornice of wall unit and not in corner above unit to lose coverage
Site sensor in best possible position to best coverage due to setup of kitchen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back