Help filling in hole left by removal of pipes in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I recently had a new boiler fitted and various 22mm pipes removed. This has now left a hole (about 10cm x 4cm) in the ceiling. What is the best way to cover the hole? Should I use expanding foam and finish off with Pollyfilla so that its paintable?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
had a similar problem. though slightly larger hole..!

not necessarily the right way to do it - but it worked

cut a short batten and put it up in the hole resting on both sides of the opening. screwed through the plasterboard to fix in place

cut an off-cut of plasterboard to fit hole and screwed into place.

filed back the edges to get rid of the scraggy paper and bits and pieces sitting proud of the ceiling

filled the gaps with pollyfilla roughly and let it dry

gave it a sand back, then applied a coat of polyfilla over the hole area again, filling screw holes, remaining voids etc, and then sanded it all back and painted

i can see it's there, but it really isn't noticeable at all

Same sort of idea as Doctor C but as it isn't a large hole the following may be easier.

Cut a piece of stiff card a little larger then the whole and thread a piece of cotton through the centre. Tie the cotton to a matchstick/nail or similar to stop it pulling back out. Push the card into the hole and position it to cover the whole area. Whilst gently holding on to the cotton part fill the hole with pollyfilla but don't bring it out flush. Just do a thi layer at a time allowing it to dry between fillings. When applying the final layer fill it just proud of the surface and allow to dry completely.
Cut off the cotton flush with the filler and gently sand till it is flush with the ceiling. Apply two coats of primer before painting the whole ceiling to avoid patching.

Sponsored Links
Hello

I recently had a new boiler fitted and various 22mm pipes removed. This has now left a hole (about 10cm x 4cm) in the ceiling. What is the best way to cover the hole? Should I use expanding foam and finish off with Pollyfilla so that its paintable?

Thanks in advance.

hi!
that all are good ideas as you want to use. But you should take consult from damage experts and professionals. sothat there is no anything loss in your house.
thank u

Jerry,

i think you can be safe in the knowledge there is no water damage - the original post suggests the pipes have been removed - not exploded into pieces with high pressure jets of water down the back of the TV

Jerry,

i think you can be safe in the knowledge there is no water damage - the original post suggests the pipes have been removed - not exploded into pieces with high pressure jets of water down the back of the TV

hi!
i m really agree to your answer but for cover the hole, you can get help from damage professionals.i think ....they can give you good suggestion.

this forum is full of excellent damage professionals - that's why we come here!

cheers!

no doubt it's sunnier in Florida than it is here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back