Help finding a MCB...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As some of you may know I am fitting a new electric shower.

I am looking for a 40A MCB.

Unfortunately I can’t find one the same size. I’ve tried Screwfix, B&Q Wickes and local electrical shops...
groan.gif

Does it have to be the same overall size as long as the rear connection is the same?

Any help/advice appreciated.

fuse1.jpg

fuse2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Possibly obsolete now. Try e-bay for a second hand one. I had the same problem with my old MEM consumer unit. Found some on e-bay no problem.

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:
I trust you are aware that you are most likely doing notifiable work?

This is from my Council:

PART P BUILDING NOTICE –
ELECTRICAL WORK ONLY

£246.75 :eek: :eek: :eek: For a new shower??!!

Anyone know how to get it done cheaper?

dingbat said:
You'll have a job. That's a BS 3871 circuit breaker, the standard for which became obsolete in 1991.

While that is true, it doesn't automatically rule out the possibly of finding a new breaker for the board, of course the new breaker will be a BSEN 60898 type, the issue here is that crabtree have changed the design of the boards since the OP's was installed. I know that for example, you can have an old hager board with BS3871 breakers, and fit brand new hager BSEN 60898 breakers alongside :)

Mind you, it would make things easier if the standard did govern the fitting and connection... ;)

Cheers all.

Should have tried the net first, would have saved myself a few miles today searching different shops!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back