Help fitting concrete gravel boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the weekend I plan on replacing some old fencing panels that got damaged during the strong winds a few weeks ago. These fence panels were standard 6x6 but for the replacements I've decided to go with 6x5 + concrete gravel boards.

I knew the concrete gravel boards would be heavy but it wasn't until I took delivery of them that I realised exactly how much more heavier they actually are.

We've already got concrete posts up from the old fence panels and so installing the concrete gravel boards would require raising them up and above the posts and sliding them down, just like we would with the fence panel itself afterwards.

Does anybody have any tips on going about this safely other than getting round a bunch of strong lads to help spread the load?

Sponsored Links
You certainly need at least two strong people, one at each end, both on stable stepladders. Four people would make it much easier. If the board starts to slip or fall, make sure it falls away from you both. It might be possible to rig up some sort of lifting gear with ropes and pulleys but this would have to be safely and skillfully built, which could be even more difficult.

The board will sit on the lip at the bottom of the groove. If it is not quite level, you can make a slight excavation and sit the board on mortar or fine concrete.

Incidentally, you can get these gravel boards in 6" or 12" sizes. The 12" ones are better, but, of course, twice as heavy.

It is possible to paint the boards, and the concrete posts, with dark brown masonry paint. this makes it blend in with the stained wooden panels, and I think looks quite attractive. It is much easier to paint them before assembly.

Like this

POL_0108.jpg

POL_0107.jpg

Thanks for the info JohnD. I saw your photos in a previous thread and have to say it looks quite nice :) Is the paint you used on the boards and posts the same as the stuff you used to stain the panels themselves?

As for fitting the concrete boards: I was thinking of something similar to your ropes and pulleys ideas, except without the pulleys.

- 3 - 4 guys
- Two step ladders, one at each post
- Two, one tied up near each end of the concrete board
- Wrap the other ends of the ropes around the top of each ladder a few times (making it a very crude pulley type system)
- All 3 or 4 guys raise the board above the posts and once in the groves, the two guys on the ladder start slowly letting the rope through thus lowering the board as the remaining guy(s) stand back (or help reduce the speed at which the board lowers).

I realise that I would need to pretty strong rope otherwise the chafing around the tops of the ladders is going to kill it off pretty quick.

The concrete is painted with Masonry paint (I used Dulux Trade Smooth, had to have it mixed. get the darkest brown you can. I have used Sandtex Bitter Chocolate colour before.

Sponsored Links
as the posts get higher there will be a small amount of movement in them. you should be able to get one end in and prise the other end in with a crowbar or similar. You can also take a small slither off one end with an angle grinder or similar to give you a bit more tolerance.

Can you get places to mix the masonry paint the same colour as the fences?

you can go to a dulux centre and they will have a lot of paint samples you can choose from. you could compare them to a bit of your fence.

of course in a few years, after weathering and fading, the colours will have changed

mixed to order paint is much more expensive than off-the-shelf

I recently fitted a few more which I had to do on my own, I just lifted them on at an angle so the bottom corner was resting then slid the other side down the grove on the other side, a couple needed a bit of a jiggle (lifting the low end with a steel toe capped boot, but they all went in fairly easily.

you must be a lot stronger than me

i would also put some rope round the posts, and cardboard boxes or other soft packing underneath in case they fall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back