Help fitting replacement CH room thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posted this in the plumbing/heating forum but realised it should be here...

Can anyone give me some advise on changing my 20 year old Drayton thermostat to a new Honeywell CM907 digital programmable thermostat.

The problem I have is none of the connections on the old thermostat correspond with those on the new, I guess things have moved on a little over the past two decades!

Here is a wiring diagram of my current thermostat with a few notes:

drayton.jpg

And this is the wiring diagram for the new thermostat:

honeywell.jpg

It's also worth noting that I have a combi boiler - a Thorn Olympic 38/50B.

The old thermostat has 6 wires and the diagram above suggests only two are required on the new unit?

HELP! :oops:

Thanks,

Claire.

I have removed your post from plumbing and heating

Sponsored Links
As a direct replacement,

Old 3 = new A
Old 1 = new C
Old 2 = new B

The cables that connect to N are no longer required.

I'm a bit confused as to why you have six cables? Have you got 2 stats?

Also, the wiring diagram is for a CM900 and you say you have a CM907, are they the same?

Pensdown said:
As a direct replacement,

Old 3 = new A
Old 1 = new C
Old 2 = new B

The cables that connect to N are no longer required.

I'm a bit confused as to why you have six cables? Have you got 2 stats?

Many thanks for that, I only have one room thermostat and of course there is a thermostat on the boiler.

N only has one cable.

Why does 2 have 2 cables on it though? Are you saying move both of these to 'B' on the new stat?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure why term 2 has 2 cables but yes, move them both onto B. The cable that was in N needs to be put into a piece of terminal block and left in the back box or any spare space in the stat as it's no longer required.

There are standard ways to wire heating systems but often these are not followed. If your system is working with 2 cables in T2 it will still work with 2 cables in B.

Claire, I've just the data sheet and your CM907 is a bit more than just a thermostat, it's a blumin optimiser!

What time control do you already have on your heating system because the DM907 is designed to replace it?

OK. Once you have fitted your CM907 from what I've read you should set your manual dials to permanently ON. Your on/off times should be programmed into your 907.

I'm not sure if you know what you've brought but an optimiser works in a different way to your old dial time switch.

On your old time switch you would set a start time say 2 hours before you get up so the house is warm.

With an optimiser you set it for the time you get up and it works out how long it will take to warm the house up to the temperature you have set. It then starts the boiler accordingly.

I'm not quite sure how the 907 does this because normally optimiser's learn the required on time by comparing the outside temp to the inside temp over a set period.

There is an option for an outside sensor but according to the data sheet it's an option so I assume by that it's not required for normal operation.

Softus, (or anybody else) Have you come across one of these?

Ah that might be a problem, if I leave it on constant (from the boiler) it turns the hot water on too. There is no option to just have CH on by itself.

claire79 said:
Ah that might be a problem, if I leave it on constant (from the boiler) it turns the hot water on too. There is no option to just have CH on by itself.

If, as you said, it's a combi boiler, then the hot water being on all the time won't matter because it won't heat it until you turn a tap on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back