help for and against and if i need subbase or not for patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so from the title you will see i have a few questions. i am about to lay some sort of patio,blocks or decking rtc. i have an area of about 12m2 that is compresed mud and gravel an 8m2 of concreter/fixed flooring,there are photos in my albums of the area i am about to work on(could not figure out how to put them in the post sorry) so here goes

1, i was wondering if i go down the block paving root do i need to dig out the mud and gravel and fill with type 1 or can i just lay over it(it will only be walked on)

2. how much type 1 will i need for 12m2

3. how much sand for 20m2 at 50mm deepth

4.what is the cheapest option

5. what has the lowest maintance.

6. for and against all options

7. any other options that i have consider(we are not struck on certain option we just want somthinh that looks good at low cost)

thanks for any replies and ideas

cal

Sponsored Links
if youre going to block over the concrete and the tiled area and not replicate the ground conditions on the mud and gravel end then you are going to be seriously unhappy as over time you watch one area sink unevenly in the ground. personally i would either remove the hard surfacing or put a similar base in the remaining area if it want it to all look evenly set. if you prefer wonky seismic activity area then just plop the blocks in deep puddles of mud while youre at it : )

didnt think of that thank you so looks like if i go the block root i will need to lay concrete to now then and i suppose this will need a type 1 subbase before putting the concrete in to?

Sponsored Links
if you want to block pave you need to remove the concrete. You can not lay block paving on sand over an impermeable surface like concrete.

Block paving needs 100mm sub-base and a bedding layer of between 25-45mm of compacted screeded grit sand.

Get yourself over to paving expert . com for more specific details. They also have a calculator for quantities.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back