Help! Garage Roof Advice Required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After ‘window shopping’ other threads on DIYnot i’ve decided to ‘take the plunge’ with a query of my own regarding a new roof for my garage and I hope some of you can offer some advice.

Following the building of a ‘shall not be named’ german Supermarket on the former car park behind my home, access to my garage - located at the property’s rear - has been blocked, relegating it to the role of large shed. The current roof - a low pitched corrugated metal (i’m estimating 20 degrees) - is leaking and looking aged. My goal for the Garage is to convert it into an outdoor gym, so insulation will need to be part of the equation.

My general criteria for the roof is that the life expectancy of the materials is more important than low cost. I’m happy to pay more from the outset if the roof will last. I’d also like it to look good (although admittedly anything would be an improvement on the current roof).

As I have very little knowledge about roofing products (and Google has so many different materials on view that I find it confusing) and I would be grateful if someone here can offer some advice.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Sponsored Links
Can you get a pitched frame on it? You should be able to go 4m in height without planning.

Pitch will always look better than flat.

Sponsored Links
If cost is not the main issue, then by far the longest lasting and most aesthetically pleasing is a Natural Welsh slate. But for this you may need to pitch it up slightly, 22.5 deg is about the minimum you can get away with, with natural slate, under normal circumstances.

So there will be some extra timber work - but if you want to pay for it to look great and last forever then it's Welsh slate all the way!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back