Help identifying pipe/wire in loft space...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm converting some loft space into storage and have come across an annoying obstacle that I would like to remove but I am uncertain whether it would be OK to do so.

It appears to be metal, about 10mm in diameter and is supported a small wooden beam as can be seen in the pictures attached. It is a fairly soft metal as it is easy to scrape a shaving off so I'm guessing lead.

It comes into the loft space through the floor up the inside of the external wall and runs into a partition wall.

Any ideas what it could be and whether it is safe to remove???

Thanks for your time!

Sponsored Links
What's on the otherside of the partition / lath and plaster wall ?

Lath and plaster means the building is old enough to have had a lead wire based electrical system and I'm leaning towards that.

If it had been gas lighting that would have been done in metal black tube. If it was water I'd expect the lead to have been upwards of 20mm.

The picture isn't that clear, but is the lead circular or more oval, as in wider than it is thick ?

Hi Chris,

Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately I can't help you with what is on the other side of the wall as it appears that it runs into the hollow of a partition wall that I assume was built when the loft was converted.

However, I would say that it is definitely more circular than oval in shape.

Does that help at all???

Cheers.

Ive had a couple of old houses with small bore lead pipe for lighting, about 3/8" if I recall.
If it was electric it would be of an oval shape. If gas it will long have been disconnected surely.
JonB

Sponsored Links
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your advice.

I guess the next thing to ask is what is the safest way to proceed?

I would really like to remove it so is it a case of turning off the mains electrics and cutting through it and reconnecting it with a connecting block?

What type of cable should I use to patch it?

Thanks all!

If it's a cable bend it and the lead will snap. Then use a volt stick on the cable cores to confirm it's not energised and having done so, simply remove the cable.

Alternatively give it a pull which may well allow the cable to drop out the partition, it is very unlikely to be in service or terminated anywhere.

If you are really unsure check around the fuse board area and see if you have anything that is ancient and in use.

Hi Chris,

There is definitely no lead wiring coming out of the fuse board, it has only been brought up to spec recently so I suspect that as you say the wire is redundant.

However, I will try what you suggest.

Thank you all for your kind help!

EDIT:
Just to update you, I tried to pull the cable back but the lead snapped to reveal a hollow core! Whatever purpose it used to serve, all that now remains is the hollow lead shell.

get it down the scrap yard and on with your job now then,lol

Just to update you, I tried to pull the cable back but the lead snapped to reveal a hollow core! Whatever purpose it used to serve, all that now remains is the hollow lead shell.

Result :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back