Help identifying type of wall covering/plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We recently moved into our first home, built in 1965. It's part of a large estate. I have been removing old wallpaper and repainting. Some of the walls consist of a very smooth, almost slippery, cream coloured substance. It's not plaster. I don't know what it is.

I'd like to repaint, rather than repaper the walls, but I'm worried that, as the walls are so smooth, the paint won't adhere. Has anyone come across this type of wall before? Using a steamer, I can remove the existing paint (which is splotchy) very easily. I've included a not-very-good image.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Can't really tell from you photo but it does not look like a surface that is in a fit condition to paint just yet.
Have you tried removing any of the surface?
It could be a lime render.

Yeah, it's not a great photo, sorry. I can't remove any of the surface, although I can see where it has been scratched, and it's brownish, almost pulpy. The overall surface is very very smooth, almost slippery to the touch. It has been papered before, without any problems. I would just prefer to paint it. I thought it might be some sort of 1960's type of building material that someone may recognize.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back