Help identifying valve and TRVs connected to HW cylinder

Hi the TRV you are talking about is linked to the cylinder to try and control gravity when the temp of your cylinder reaches the selected temperature, it does not turn the boiler off but was a crude attempt to control the HW on a gravity fed system, inefficient and not very effective, if you are changing your cylinder you will need to upgrade to a fully pumped system anyway to comply with part L building regs which includes cylinder stat, pump and 3 port valve or if S plan 2 x 2 port valves.
Regards
AJT Gas

Hi

Prior to replacing my (asbestos) CWST and hot water cylinder in order to be in a position to fit a pump for a shower, I've taken an inventory of the pipes in the airing cupboard. I think I've identified everything with the exception of a couple of items.

Firstly, what is the brass fitting shown here to the right of the stop cock?
It's connected to the return from the cylinder (see photo below).

And secondly, has anyone come across a TRV fitted to a hot water cylinder before?

Can someone briefly explain what the purpose of this is, as I'm considering replacing the cylinder along with the CWST and would like to understand what the TRV is for and whether I need to re-fit this. Currently there's a copper wire connecting the TRV to a plate that is itself connected directly to the copper cylinder. If I get a lagged cylinder then this might not be so easy to reconnect.

thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back