Help identifying which co-ax cable goes to which tv socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new house with 10 loose co-axial loose ends at a central point in the loft. These lead to 10 TV wall sockets in various rooms in the house. The cables cannot be physically traced through the restricted loft space.
How can I identify which cable goes to which room socket? 2 pairs of cables have been put in to facilitate Sky plus in two different rooms, the remaining 6 are for standard digital tv. The cables are all the same so no clues there. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Disconnect everything, one cable at a time short the inner core with the outer and use a multimeter to test for continuity at the other ends

Attach a AA battery (core to +ve, braid to -ve) at the room end, then go to the loft, take a multimeter with you, and see which shows a voltage.

Thanks for the ideas. In my mind I thought about connecting each cable in the loft, one at a time, to an aerial, then take a telly around each socket until I got a pictue. I don't fancy taking the connections loose at every wall socket and I'd have to buy a multimeter. I've got to buy an aerial and i assume fit ends to the cables in the loft. Which method would be quicker?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the ideas. In my mind I thought about connecting each cable in the loft, one at a time, to an aerial, then take a telly around each socket until I got a pictue. I don't fancy taking the connections loose at every wall socket and I'd have to buy a multimeter. I've got to buy an aerial and i assume fit ends to the cables in the loft. Which method would be quicker?

Either the battery or the short can be achieved pretty quickly with a plug, a little cable and the appropriate short/battery end. The short is probably easier and it avoids any issues of DC blocking if you already have diplex/triplex wall plates fitted.

Buying a multimeter is cheaper than replacing a TV dropped accidentally. But really, if you have decided a method then it's all academic. Just go with what you planned to do. You're only doing 10 cables.

Go with what you already planned, get someone to go around with the tv so you don't have to keep going up and down the loft

Professional cable checkers are available but only worth buying if you have a LOT of cables to check.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page6.htm#cabtest

Frankly, it was very lazy and unprofessional of the installer not to label the cables. It would make me suspect that he also probably used the cheapest cable available. Let's hope at least that it's double-screened.

See http://www.glodark.com/cable.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back