Help - Induction hob confusion

I know this is an old topic but I've only just joined! I bought and fitted a Candy induction hob but it was badly affected by heat from the conventional single oven beneath. If the oven was on, the heating zones would signal that they were too hot (and unavailable for cooking) even before any attempt was made to use them.

Perhaps the oven was at fault, and was poorly insulated causing excessive heat to escape. But I disagree with flameport that they are useless. You can boil a pan of water in 40 seconds flat, and maintain a lower level heat than you can with a gas hob which is ideal for steam cooking rice etc. and are so much easier to keep looking pristine!

Everything has an operating temperature range, and external influences will affect it's operation. Try operating an LCD television in freezing conditions or a gas hob with a strong through draft!

Sponsored Links
Re fitting induction hob above oven I would suggest one goes to the De Dietrich web site and download Installation Guide for Induction Hobs.

It does not say you can't fit them above ovens. What it does say is that one should not use the hob at the same time as the self-cleaning by extreme heat program for the oven. It also gives a useful tip feature

Hope that helps

Jim Mac

Just to follow up on my experiences...

I now have a double-under electric oven underneath an induction hob. The main issue was around depth of the hob (as someone mentioned above) which in my case is 55mm (much bigger than the gas hob it replaced). The hob and the oven also need a gap to allow air to circulate and both devices have a fan which assist in keeping the air around them cool.

I've had no issue with using both devices together but installaing the hob did require me to raise all of the units in the kitchen & worktop supports in the wall... A good few weekends were lost in that process...

The induction hob itself is excellent, seems to heat food much more quickly than the gas hob it replaced and looks better too, I'd recommend it over gas to anyone who cared about my opinion.

The induction unit electronics monitor their own temperature. Microchips don't likr to be too hot.
What I dont get about induction hobs is why they have microchips. The fancy touch controls, yeah, I can understand that needing chips (though these aren't a nessecity, just a fancy gadget), but the actual cooking rings just need live and neutral and lots of lectric shoved up em, surely? :p

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back