Country
Germany
Double-Gang Dimmer and Dual Rocker Switch.jpg
DSC_0027 [1367706].JPG
DSC_0028 [1367710].JPG
Front view of Busch Dimmers.jpg
Two Dimmers in Place.jpg
Wiring of Both Dimmers.jpg

Have just moved to Germany, and have a room with a double-gang system, the lower is a rotary dimmer which controls the lights in the kitchen, the upper is a double rocker switch that simply turns living-room lights on or off. So, I want to replace the double-rocker switch with dimmer as well. I went and bought the same type of Busch dimmer as the one that controls the kitchen lights and tried to fit it, the problem is that I now have the new rotary dimmer fitted, but when you turn it on, it switches both kitchen and living-room lights on. Moreover, it is dimming the living-room; and the other Dimmer for the kitchen does not dim, it only switches the light on or off. So I have two dimmers, one works as on/off switch for both Dimmers (don't want this, want them to be independent) and dims itself, but other Dimmer will not switch on/off independently and does not dim!!? The existing wiring was 1 black wire and 2 yellow wires coming into top double-rocker, and 1 black wire coming into rotary Dimmer. Between both dimmer and rocker was a single brown traveler wire crossing between. I have tried simply to replicate the wiring but to no avail. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. The kitchen lights ….4 x 30 watts. The living room light 4x60 watts

Notes on photos:

(i) Front view of Busch Dimmers: Original wiring was as the photo shows, except that the rocker switch on the left (now the new dimmer) had both yellow wires going to it (see photo). I changed this as dimmer were not dimming, and placed wire across to second dimmer, which briefly made both dimmers work. (ii) Front Overhead view of Dimmers: the orange wire in photos is in fact the Black wire (extended). (iii) The rear-view of the original Rocker switch (to Kitchen, no. 5 on block) had Brown wire going to Top Far Right (right of the ‘L’ ) next to which was the Black wire. I hope this explains things a bit better.

Many Thanks Max

Sponsored Links
Hi, did you get this sorted? I think I can help, but as it's 3 weeks ago that you asked I don't want to go into detail if you've already fixed it.
In short, the terminal on the right (on your upside down picture) marked with the arrow pointing in the opposite direction to the other 2 is for an optional remote switch. I think one of the old 2 gang toggle switches may have been connected to this. You need to ignore this terminal, put your live feed to one (either) of the 2 centre terminals on both dimmers, and connect the lights to the terminals with the squiggley line.
Also, searching on the part numbers show one dimmer is suitable for driving a transformer, the other for driving halogen/incandescent lamps. (You may have picked that on purpose)

Sponsored Links
Back