HELP- is this felt roof done properly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View media item 50820
Please give any advice on this felt roof on the dormer - it's roughly 2.5x2.7m in size. Photo is the only angle I can since it's so high up.
1) Should the edge of the felt be hanging like that or should it be attached to the fascia (if so how?) What problems could it cause?

2) I paid for 3 layer felt to be put on - can you tell if that has been that? The bit that hangs look quite thin more like 1 layer only?

Losing sleep over this - as worried I'll have problems with leaking or something in a few years time (or less!)

ANY HELP APPRECIATED

Sponsored Links
The detail on the edges look correct.
What you can see is a green mineral drip trim, this would be nailed to the facia, or batten, then it is folded back on itself up to and onto the roof.

It will be sealed either by torch on, or pour and roll.

We cant see the top of the roof but, you will have either a couple of layers of felt, then a green mineral cap sheet, or solar reflective paint.

Sponsored Links
It's certainly nice to see a proper edge drip formed, instead as the more usual bent over and stuck to the fascia job.

I'll check the top on Google earth in two years time and let you know

BTW, the 3 layers are not supposed to be bent over the side, so that's why it looks like one layer

Thanks everyone's replies. The horror worsens...had a roofer look at this as it was a builder who built this in the first place. And roofer says there's only 1 felt layer over a breathable membrane and that's it!! He climbed up and pulled back the felt at the edge with ease to see the membrane. and there's no sign of insulation.... I cannot believe building control didnt say anything,
CRAP
I was in such shock I forgot to ask him how long will this roof last. Would anyone know?

Looks good. Nice and tidy. The reason it's not flush with the fascia is purely because there is a wooden batten behind, which helps reduce water dripping across your nice white fascias.

Thanks everyone's replies. The horror worsens...had a roofer look at this as it was a builder who built this in the first place. anyone know?
2 Points ---- 1 - you`re in Kent . 2 - There are lots of P1keys in Kent doing roofing and building ;)

I think its perfectly fine, the felt seems a sizeable gap away from the guttering so no worries there. Good Job keep it up!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back