HELP - live to earth fault - where to begin?

you can see red, neutral, grey, I connected it live>live, neutral>neutral, grey>earth.
what made you think grey was earth? In a lighting circuit, black might not be neutral either.

I think you need to find a better electrician.

The previous ceiling light had the grey to the earth.

Is it possible to test each wire to check the fault?

Sponsored Links
A lighting circuit is usually arranged like a string (not a ring) starting at the consumer unit and wandering round the house from one ceiling rose to the next (hopefully with no hidden junction boxes)

If you can identify the route the cable takes, you can draw a diagram, and start with the nearest rose to the CU, and see if that is correct. If so, go to the next one and so on.

You will have to identify every wire in every ceiling rose to do this, and mark them. although there will be reds and blacks, some of them will be supply in, some of them will be supply out, sone of them will be to and from the switch. You can't tell by the colour.

Read the Wiki on lighting circuits until you are sure you understand. //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

you will need:
A multimeter
Some white vinyl tape and a permanent marker for labelling each wire
some green and yellow sleeving
some red sleeving
notebook
Some 1.5m T&E cable to replace any damaged sections
some cable clips

If you take a light fitting apart without careful labelling and understanding, you will probably reconnect it wrong.

If you get in a muddle, I recommend you find a better electrician.

thansk for your help.

he said the first light that should come on thats closes to the fuse box is the hall light and it wont go on. So that would mean I didnt mess up the bathroom light, but then if the closest light doesnt go on what could be the problem then? He said theres a L/E problem but if the upstairs is all disconnected its not up stairs. Is that current. Think hes even puzzled.

I'll see what I can do then call another electrician tommoz.
Are you a electrician johnd?

Looks like you're on a winner here JohnD - Hampshire to Scouserland - hope he pays for a tank of diesel!

Sponsored Links
I have answered your message

fault finding is slow and tedious but not very difficult provided you have read the documents and understand how the circuit is constructed. draw some diagrams to help yourself.

When looking for a qualified electrician, use the links on http://www.competentperson.co.uk/
sometimes people think he must be a NICEIC member but there are other approved schemes.

edited: to identify and label lighting circuit wires, see //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100255[/i]

meter2.gif

which nob do I turn it to?
And which one do I plug the red and black cables into, example 10A, COM, VmA

Ive managed to get the ground floor lights working (apart from lounge?). They started working since I disconnected a junction box in the loft. Next step I suppose it to put back the bathroom light to see if it lights.

you now know that the working circuit is on one side of the JB, and the fault is on the other side.

you now need to find and fix the fault. If you reconnect the faulty circuit you will just trip again.

If you dont already have smoke alarms then i would advise you install some today. Experimenting with electricity is dangerous, you need a competent electrician to locate the fault and rectify it ensuring the circuit is fit for continued use.

Yeah ive got smoke machines thanks, ive done loads of lights, ovens, because i use to redo kitchens and showers years ago. Its just finding a wire fault is a new one for me, ive never had it before. Think because the house is on 1 big circuit the halogen lights must have been too powerful 200 wattsm and blow up the bathroom lights.

ive reconnected the junction box in the loft and the fuse box didn't cut out, the ground lights work but the first floor doesn't. theres only 6 main lights up stairs.

Got upstairs all done, up. Must been a fault in the shaver light or too much power from my bedroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back