HELP! Loft chipboard flooring rot..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a newbuild (2001) 3 years ago and temporarily layed a few b and q 18mm chipboard panels (comes in pack of 3) just to hold a few boxes until I had sorted out rest of house. I must have layed about 10 across the joists and never returned until 3 yrs later finally decided to lay the middle part of the loft with chipboard panels again bought from B & Q pack of 3.

Firstly I widened the hatch with a built in drop door.

When I came to remove the boards I put down 3 yrs ago they had turned very pale and light as a feather AND easy to snap!! Whats going on? They are identical to the ones I have just bought. I had 3 of the orginal ones standing up in my spare bedroom and they were fine.

Can I say I layed the loft with the same boards in the house I lived in 10 years ago and I had no problem. When I layed them they were still looking good 10 yrs later and withstood my weight when walked on.

I have placed about 20 boards down, staggered, and various cuts to fit across the joists. Butted them together and screw them into joists. I am very pleased with my work. But now I am so worried that over a short time now they are going to end up like the previous ones I put down.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!! What can I do to prevent this from happening to my hardwork? What was the cause of this? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Not really a gardening question, this...you'd be better off asking the carpenters

Are they definitely chipboard? Chipboard falls apart if it gets wet. Do you have any damp in the loft? Have you ever noticed a smell like mushrooms when you first enter the loft? Has water ever dripped onto the boards? Is the loft well ventilated?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back