Help. MDF cupboard doors failing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our painted mdf cupboard doors (size 2250mm x 665mm, 18mm thick) have been failing at the hinges (overlay concealed euro type) for some time now with the screws being pulled out of the doors and the hinges sagging as well. It is becoming somewhat dangerous as have 3 kids running around.

The doors are 8 years old and there are 4 hinges per door which look like standard ones from wickes. On checking Blum hinge website appears should have been 5 hinges for weight/size of doors.

Is there a quick fix around to repair these or should I replace the hinges with say these ones from Blum:

http://www.trade-hinges.co.uk/soft-close-inserta-cabinet-hinge-overlay-303-p.asp

And do you think should install an additional hinge? I am hoping don't have to get new doors!

Any advice really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
New hinges would certainly droop less, but you're right, there aren't enough hinges. At 8 years I'm not certain I'd want to add an extra hinge, but if yo do, get yourself a cheap alignment jig like this one which will make the task lots easier. The Blum Inserta hinges you refer to will certainly work, but you'll need to drill two 8mm holes in the door for each hinge to take the dowels. Similarly the cruciform plates (the mountings fitted to the inside of the cabinets) have Euro screws which may require your screw holes to be enlarged to 5mm (that is, however the right size). I'd replace the mounting plates as well as the hinges, especially as your Wickes hinges probably aren't Blums and may well not be compatible

New hinges would certainly droop less, but you're right, there aren't enough hinges. At 8 years I'm not certain I'd want to add an extra hinge, but if yo do, get yourself a cheap alignment jig like this one which will make the task lots easier. The Blum Inserta hinges you refer to will certainly work, but you'll need to drill two 8mm holes in the door for each hinge to take the dowels. Similarly the cruciform plates (the mountings fitted to the inside of the cabinets) have Euro screws which may require your screw holes to be enlarged to 5mm (that is, however the right size). I'd replace the mounting plates as well as the hinges, especially as your Wickes hinges probably aren't Blums and may well not be compatible

Thanks for the advice. Assume if adding 5th hinge should place mid height in the door?

Also if I were to replace the doors is there a better lighter weight alternative to 18mm mdf?

Sponsored Links
Assume if adding 5th hinge should place mid height in the door?
I doubt that it really matters that much - it's sole purpose would be to reduce the loading on the other hinges. Peroanally I'd probably go for the top of the door where it is less likely to be in the sightline

Also if I were to replace the doors is there a better lighter weight alternative to 18mm mdf?
Not really. 15mm doors look a bit thin and cheap to my eyes. MDF is pretty much the standard material used these days

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back