Help me understand the heating system in my new house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I moved house this week, from a flat with a gas combi boiler to a house with a gas condensing boiler - I understood the combi boiler pretty well, it seemed straight forward but my new place has pumps, actuators, etc coming off the pipes...I'm not too sure what these kind of thing are but hopefully someone can help me understand.

I have a Worcester Greenstart Ri boiler, it has 2 actuators (don't really know what they do) and a pump of some sort attached to near by pipes, the fill value also seems to be external on this system and attached to a red cylinder . I have attached photos to give you a better idea.

I'm my loft I now have a hot water tank, and I think 3 cold water tanks.

I have a wall mounted device where I can set a timing schedule and control the heating/water manually. But then I also have a thermostat of some sort...i'm not really sure when I should use which one!

Like I said, I had managed to get a decent idea of the old combi boiler, it seemed an easy concept...but I cant really figure out how this all works!

If someone could give me a bit of education it would be much appreciated!!

Iain

Sponsored Links
Circulator feeding into two motorised valves - hot water & central heating. Leave well alone.

Filling loop adjacent to expansion vessel - leave well alone unless the system needs to be topped up.

Programmer - sets times for heating and hot water to be active

Room thermostat - demands heat from system when room temperature is below setting and shuts system off when room temperature is reached.

Three cold water tanks seems unusual - maybe coffin tanks to make sure that you have enough stored cold water.

PS - Most of the components you can now see were incorporated inside your combi boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back