Help me!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Im about to buy a house and have had a survey done, on the survey it noted that there was alot of the felt between the tiles and the wood missing but wasnt a high priority job. I was wondering how large a job this was as i am worried that this can only be rectified by taking the roof tiles off.

It would be a massive bonus if this could be done from the inside!!

Please someone help me!!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
This is a pretty common one, if you are talking about the underfelt that sits under the tiles / slates and terminates in the gutter.....sunlight deteriorates the felt and it eventually drops away.
To replace the felt, its common practice to remove the bottom two courses of tiles, and patch in the felt by sliding new stuff under the original, so any stray rain is caught and finds its way into the gutter.
This is a fairly easy job so long as the tiles aren't nailed in place, but rather held by nibs on the tiles that hook over the slaters laths up there.
Its worth bearing in mind though that older houses had no felt there, and so long as the slates / tiles were in good nick, water wouldn't get through anyway!
John :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back