Help - my knob is stuck!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've been looking for the perfect door knobs for my oak doors and recently bought these....

Trouble is they are completely stuck to the existing spindle. I'm hoping I would be able to remove both if them from the spindle and then use a new spindle with precut and threaded holes. I could drill holes into the stems of the knobs so that they can be attached to the new spindle.

But first things first; can anyone suggest how I might be able to get them off? Or do you think they are stuck on the for good?

Many thanks

Max

Sponsored Links
Is there any reason that you can't use the exsisting spindles in place of the new? It may require a bit of work with a file or to make a sleeve.
Or is it the case that you have two spindles each with one knob which you want to connect together in which case you need to remove one knob from the spindle?

if it is a brass knob on a steel spindle, it might be heat-shrunk. You could try warming it with moderate heat from a blowlamp. I think I would put the flame on the steel spindle to limit damage to the knob. If by any chance there is lead solder holding them together, it will run out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back