Help - No felt or any damp proof under Roof Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a property that has many challenges, most of which have or are being sorted. But I've no experience of roofing problems/solutions, so if anyone can help with this I would be very grateful.

1929 property.

Problem begins with that the previous owner had the whole roof sprayed with foam between the roof rafters, from within side loft space (the roof rafters are still exposed. A small part of the roof above the front door has no protection at all (this can be seen from the cupboard upstairs as there was some damp and so removed all the old lime plaster.

This area is about the width of 2 widths and 1500 mm from top to bottom.

My hope that I can provide protection from with inside the property as I don't really want the start messing around with the roof.

I will take some photo's today in case they will be of some help.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
is your roof leaking ?

If not don't worry, not having any felt under your slates/tiles is not a problem in itself as the felt isn't really asolution to a leaking top covering

If it is then you have a serious job ahead of you, that spary foam will not only be diverting water away from the point of water ingress, making it nigh on impossible to locate the leak but if it is obvious from the outside, it will make it very difficult to remove the offending slates and replace with new, also it will be trapping moisture above it causing rotting to your roof timbers.

There isn't really any way of waterprofing your roof from the inside if it is leaking, as I said previously the under sarking isn't a substitute for a dodgy roof covering

Sponsored Links
Hi Chappers, sorry for the delay in my response to your post.

I can't see any signs of leaking on the man roof due to the foamed tiles, although from the part of the roof that I was referring that had no foam covering there was a little evidence due the old plaster (Lime render) been blown, when we bought it. It may have been just gradual decay due to moisture as for the 2 months we have been working on the house I saw not leaking even though I had stripped it all back to have a good view.

I thought about strips of celotex between the rafters to just insulate it, any thoughts?

Many Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back