help on how to fix an Atco Windsor 14s lawnmower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I came across this mower when I moved into my new house before Christmas. Now, it's time to get out an have a good look at my garden, I thought I should have a look at seeing if I can get it working. I have my own mower to cut to the lawn, but always wanted to have a go at a cylinder mower. The lid was not fitted and after having a look ,it seems like something is not right. There is an odd feel to the tension on the pulleys and they seem to be fitted incorrectly. Also, there is a spring in the centre with one end attached, but the other just hanging. I can't see where it could possibly attach. Could any folk who know their way around a mower have a look at this picture and give me a few tips? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0427.JPG
    IMG_0427.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 186
Sponsored Links
the two aluminium wheels in about the middle are jockey wheels intended to keep the drive belts fairly taut. The spare spring might be to pull the jockey wheel away from the belt to temporarily remove drive from the roller. See how the other spring is attached for clues. Quite likely it is broken and Atco will sell you a replacement, and perhaps a manual. The mower does not look very old.

(edited)

The upper tensioner wheel (second one down) is the one that pulls the belt tight by the cable to engage the self propulsion......the spring that dangles has lost its hook, and its placed so it can pull the tensioner back again, releasing the drive. That hooks on to the bracket just above the second tensioner.
Resist having the RH belt tight, as the drive won't disengage, and the blade drive belt looks fine.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back