Help please, how to connect 4 wire PIR to alarm panel.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As dumb as it sounds, I need help. I had an alarm already fitted in a house a recently moved into. The control panel is knackered so I brought a new one and disconnected all the wires without making a note of which goes where.

I`ve figured out which wires are the PIR`s aound the house. The PIR`s have 4 wires -+ and 2 others. The question is how do I connect this to the new alarm panel I have brought an an Rx8.

Tried making sense of the instruction manual but refers to PIR`s with 6 wires, which I dont have.

Happy New year to all and please help me.

Sponsored Links
My alarm system uses a different coding of wires for every single device.

You'd better check that yours doesn't before you wire everything in. Would the 2 extra wires be a tamper-switch?

seems like you don't have a seperate pair of tamper wires

+ and - from every pir to the power outputs in paralell

other two wires either way round on the zone terminals if wiring multiple detectors on a zone they should be wired in series

some panels may require unused zones to be linked accross

plugwash said:
seems like you don't have a seperate pair of tamper wires

+ and - from every pir to the power outputs in paralell

other two wires either way round on the zone terminals if wiring multiple detectors on a zone they should be wired in series

some panels may require unused zones to be linked accross

Thanks. I have a veritas 8.

It has AUX - + so i guess i need to connect the pir into that for the power.

and has Z1 Z2 Z3 Z4 Z5 Z6 Z7 Z8 meaning 8 zones.

Is it as simple as connecting the plus and minus from the PIR to the AUX plus and minus and connection the other 2 wires to a zone?

Help appreciated people
[/img]

Sponsored Links
best thing to do is to open a pir and see how they are connected in that.

for example

Red+
black-

yellow C
blue NC

in this case the red and blacks should be connected to the auxilary supply (as mentioned , all reds in + all balcks in -)

the yellow and blue from each into one zone (one into each terminal of the zone)

you then will have the fun of programming it (refer to manual)

this assumes that the origonal owner did not use a panel which had shunt/ end of line resistors (but you will find this out when you look in a pir, but it is unlikely)

breezer said:
best thing to do is to open a pir and see how they are connected in that.

for example

Red+
black-

yellow C
blue NC

in this case the red and blacks should be connected to the auxilary supply (as mentioned , all reds in + all balcks in -)

the yellow and blue from each into one zone (one into each terminal of the zone)

you then will have the fun of programming it (refer to manual)

this assumes that the origonal owner did not use a panel which had shunt/ end of line resistors (but you will find this out when you look in a pir, but it is unlikely)

Thanks. If they do have end of line resistors can I easily take them out, or will I have to buy new pir`s.

Also can new PIR`s been used on a four core wire, if I buy news PIR`s dont really wish to renew the wiring.

there are three types of panel
those with EOL/ shunt resisors and those without (and those that can have both)

Ideally all detectors should be wired in 6 core, if NOT using a EOL based panel
this is so that any one removing a cover /cutting a wire will set the alarm off when it is unset
it does this by having the following connections (MOST detectors have the connections, it depends if you use them)
supply (+ & -)
circuit / alarm pair (C & NC or aalrm)
A.T./ tamper/anti-tamper

by only having 4 wires and not using a EOL based panel, you have no choice, you just ignore the tamper connections in the detector.
It will not comply to B.S 4737, but then you are installing it for yourself so it doesnt matter (that much)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back