Help please ... kitchen diner, kitchen area higher than dining area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looking for a bit advice/any ideas please. We are doing up our new house but Im struggling with what to use as flooring in the kitchen diner as the floor of the kitchen area is higher than the dining part of it. There is a 6 inch section which has been 'ramped' between the two sections of the room. Leveling the floor isnt an option so Im stuck with what to use as flooring. It had laminate flooring bodged with door plates to cover the joins from the different heights. We would love laminate again throughout but cant see how it could be done as the difference in height is too much to be 'padded' out but not enough for a step, so I thought vinyl but would that look daft on the sloped bit, would it even work? Or I laminate the dining area bit and tile the kitchen bit with maybe a mosaic tile bit to bridge the two together.
Any ideas please.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying, sorry to sound thick but Im not sure what you mean. The sloping bits about 6 inches wide and did have a laminate plank running across it (opposite direction to how the rest of the laminate would run) to bridge the 2 levels together but the joined bits looked awful as they used gold coloured door trims to do it.

A chunk of matching or contrasting hardwood can be machined to suit eg

544e143fd412027463fe21a8fdf7ecc5.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the photo! Thats very similar to what its like, except the dividing bit is on a slope. It would just be covering the joins? as they wouldnt be flat but on an angle because of the slope.

Why isn't "leveling the floor an option"?
Is the "ramp" a result of knocking through a wall?

Why not post pics?

Hi, thanks for replying. I wasnt sure how to lol but think Ive sussed it now, so will upload shortly :) We've had a damp problem hopefully sorted in this room and the builder said it looked like the floor was highered because of the tiny extension which has been added and something to do with the DPC being the lowest it could be and if the floor was lowered it would be be lower than the driveway that runs along that side of the house. Highering the lower bit would mean highering the rest of the downstairs area to keep it level. Cost is a factor as although we love our new house, its turning out to be the house of horrors lol, with more and more things coming to light. Sadly we are definately DIYNot :) and although Im happy to try to do things, the hubby struggles drilling a hole!! I have layed a Laminate floor though lol

Prior to any new build on to old build ( extn etc.) the DPC or the FFL is considered the bench mark for all later levels.

So quite how you've arrived at this dilemma would indicate ignorance on the part of someone - probably the "builder".

Is your house on a slope or hillside?

By and large, the old saying "Buy cheap and pay twice" works where building work is concerned.
DIY one thing at a time but do it proper.

Last edited:
Thanks we havent owned the house long and all building work was done prior to us buying the property. Its an old house and we love it but why the previous owners built this tiny extension on to the kitchen is beyond me. We have had our eyes opened tbh and are slowly making good of the bad in here but cost is a factor as we didnt budget for rotting joists, lead pipes, new dpc etc etc so we are trying to make good of the floor being on 2 levels. It doesnt bother me, its just a pain for the new flooring as Id like it to look good once its done

OP,
without a pic there's not much else to say.

How come the mortgage survey never picked up on your issues?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back