Help please-My GRANT VORTEX 15-26 OIL BOILER WILL NOT START

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:( Hi there, I have a problem with my Grant Vortex condensing oil boiler model 15-26. We ran out of oil last week (wife forgot to check - as usual)! the tank has now been filled. Now when I fire up the boiler, the red reset light is on - I have tried to reset it, it makes a whirring noise for about 10 secs and then it tries to kick in and after 2-3 secs switches itself off. I have spoken to my oil engineer (during the day - and now it's evening and i cannot get hold of him) and he told me that there's an air lock. I have removed the grub screw to release the air lock, but no hissing and the oil is there, but it doesn't gush out. Can anybody advise me???? I released the grub screw when the system was switched off...do I need the bolier on? Please advise.

Sponsored Links
I would put money on some sludge from the bottom of the oil tank having been drawn into the outlet.

If that is the cause, then the next time the tank empties you could take off the outlet and stop valve and clean it all out. In the meantime you may be able to blast enough gunge out of the pipe with compressed air to keep the system running until the weather gets warmer.

The most likely thing is an airlock. It depends on how high your tank is above the burner as well. Put a pot under the oil pump, put the grubscrew back in, and then open it a couple of turns, then try and start the boiler. You may see bubbles being pushed out, and it may take several attempts. There is a surprising amount of oil needed to fill the pipe.

DON'T try this with the plug out or you will have a jet of oil hitting the far wall.

You should take checking the oil level more seriously, you may have run out, and you may be able to blame someone else for not checking, but you didn't check either. Even if you did, what do you do if the oil gets stolen? There is a lot of it going missing these days, and I mean A LOT.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back