Help please oven tripping rcd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening,

I hope you can help me. My Hot point Luce oven had started tripping my RCD suddenly. It's around 4 years old and has never done this before. I have tried changing the fuse in the plug and tried plugging the oven into another socket, but as soon as I turn the plug on, without starting the oven up, it just trips immediately. The oven is plugged into a double socket with the fridge. This then goes into another switch with a cooker on/off switch doubled with a plug, for the microwave.

So what do we think?

Is the oven broken? Or do I have another issue? Should I try plugging the oven into another socket elsewhere?

Thanks for your help

Kelly

Sponsored Links
You can try plugging it in elsewhere, ideally with nothing else plugged in.

But ovens do like to trip RCDs. If it's tripping without the elements on, then it's likely something control related that's failed.

How much you spent on the oven/how much a replacement is likely to be should tell you how much time/money it's worth putting into repairing it

You need to eliminate the questionable item.

The oven is plugged into a double socket with the fridge. This then goes into another switch with a cooker on/off switch doubled with a plug, for the microwave.

Sorry Kelly, I've read this several times, and can't work out what you're trying to say, do you mean one of those double adaptors. Basically, you need to plug just one item into a socket, and then see if the RDC trips. If it always happens to the cooker when it's only the cooker plugged in to a wall socket, then it's got to be a fault in the cooker.

Fiddle with the knobs on the cooker and make sure they are actually turned off. It's possible that the one that is questionable is causing the fault.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys. Yeah there is a double socket under oven for fridge and oven to plug in. This then goes to another socket with a cooker on/off switch.

So, don't bother plugging it into another socket?

It does it as soon as I turn the plug switch on, I can't even move quick enough to turn the oven on without it tripping..... nightmare...

Kelly

One place in a hospital I have never visited & hope I never do!!

Likely that the heating element has failed and part of it has shorted to the earthed metal case.
Most ovens only switch the line, neutral is usually permanently connected to the element so the fault will exist even though the oven controls are off.

Most ovens only switch the line, neutral is usually permanently connected to the element so the fault will exist even though the oven controls are off.
Do I take it that you are assuming that the socket has a DP switch? If not, I can't see how the mechanism you propose could result in the trip occurring when the socket was turned on (with the oven turned 'off').

Kind Regards, John

The oven is fully led and electric on the front. As soon I plug it back in and turn in the plug socket it tripped..... however.....

I have just tried it again after leaving it last night and it now it isn't tripping!!!! Grrrrrrrr

Any thoughts? seems to be working fine

Kelly

I have just tried it again after leaving it last night and it now it isn't tripping!!!! Grrrrrrrr
It's not uncommon for such problem to be intermittent or short-lived.

Have there perhaps been any recent spillages of liquids (saucepans boiling over etc.) which could have found its way into the electrical innards of the oven? That could cause RCD trips, which would usually go away when everything dried out.

Kind Regards, John

Do I take it that you are assuming that the socket has a DP switch? If not, I can't see how the mechanism you propose could result in the trip occurring when the socket was turned on (with the oven turned 'off').
Or the appliance cable is reversed so the functional switch is actually in the neutral.

Or the appliance cable is reversed so the functional switch is actually in the neutral.
Anything is possible, but I've been brought up with the notion that "common things are common" (and .....!!) - so that probably would not be the first possibility I would consider.!

Kind Regards, John

Well having witnessed an electric shock caused by that exact problem internally on a cooker hood (although poor safe isolation practices didn't help) I always think of that possibility first!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back