Help Please - smell of burning wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone I'm looking for advice on a strange problem.
6 months ago I had a garage converted into a room. All that really needed done was a window fitted, brickwork and doors, skirting, plastering etc. Since this was done there has been an overpowering smell of burnt wood. We haven't a clue whats causing it. The joiner who did the work came out today and admitted the room smelt like a timber yard but doesn't know why as there is adequate ventilation etc and the smell of new wood should have gone within weeks of the room being done. The smell is so strong at times that I start coughing when in it. The electrics have all been checked and are fine. The smell is like a harsh dry timber odour but why is it still here and so strong after 6 months? Any advice would help me (and the joiner) to get to the bottom of this.

Sponsored Links
Turn off ALL the electricity to the building for 24 hours and see if the smell reduces.

Turn it off at the supply in the house, not at a switch in the room. This includes the circuits that may run in the ceiling above it, e.g. for sockets or lights upstairs, or may go through it, e.g. for outside lighting, or sheds.

It is very common to have a nail through a cable, or a bad connection overheating and perhaps with sawdust on it. It can even be a light fiting (especially a downlighter).

Who checked the electrics, and what did they do? What qualifications did they have?

Hi JohnD thanks for your reply I shall try what you suggested. The electrition I had was someone from a different company than my joiner as I wanted an independant assessment. I saw him remove the sockets in the room but that was all really. He just said in his opinion the electrics were fine and he thought the smell was more like a that of substance or chemical I should see the joiner about more ventilation. I also had this checked by a builder who told me there was adequate vents etc and brickwork was fine but he also said the room smelt like sawdust. I will try the 24 hours complete cut off of electric supply and let you know what happens though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back