Help please...very confused about quotes for a new boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my current rather old boiler for a new combi variety. I want something decent so have mainly been asking for quotes on Worcester or Vaillant boilers. I have had 4 quotes so far and just can't make my goddamn mind up who to go with as everyone says something different.

My main issue is over 22mm pipework v's 28mm. One of the 4 i have had round wants to re-run 28mm pipework from the gas meter to the new location of the boiler, reducing down to 22mm to go into the boiler. The existing is 22mm from the meter down to 15mm to existing boiler.

This is about a weeks work to do all this re-run and fit boiler, remove the crap from the loft etc. All 3 other plumbers are saying that they can use the existing 22mm and will take 2 days. It's about 5 meters away from the meter don't know how many twists and turns there will be without lifting the floor - this is something my husband wants to do but i won't let him!

So the advice i am looking for is about the pipe size, the boilers we are looking at are 28 or 30kw.

I really got a good feeling about the guy that wants to re-run the pipework but i just don't want the floor lifted and we don't have access to the roof space where it needs to run so we might need to cut a hole in that or run a pipe around the outside of the house. No option looks like a good one at the moment...very confused...

Sponsored Links
A Vaillnt 831 will be ok with 22mm of gas pipe work up to about 12m in total length, including bends etc, as long as it is the only gas appliance on this run of pipe.

If there is a cooker or hob etc then this has to be taken into consideration.

All Vaillants need 22mm pipe work up to the 15mm 'tail' off the boiler and as far as I know all worcesters do as well.

Without seeing your property, I would tend to agree with the chap who wants to increase the pipe size.

22mm is certainly within the scope of a combi boiler over that distance.

We need to know what other appliances are fitted.

Avoid having the pipe outside if possible, if the ****** take a shine to it you could find it missing one morning :LOL:

We have 2 gas fires but no gas appliances in the kitchen.

The Vaillant boiler we were quoted from NPower was an EcoTECPro 28. The Worcester Bosch was the 30 CDI?

To add to this the person wanting to fit 28mm is the approved installer, the others are not.

Off to find the installation guide...maybe that will help!

Sponsored Links
The installation guide will not help you in this respect. It assumes gas competences.

I would discount the nPower quote from my customers experience. Their 5 yr warranty on Vaillant is available from some other installers, including myself (but I don't work in Derbyshire!). The ecoTEC Pro is a social housing pared down spec.

I think you should concentrate on the other quotes.

as simond as said the pro 28 is a poormans alternative for the 831
the 831 has an internal filling loop the pro28 doesn't and in my experience the cost difference once this is factored in is very small. the pro 28 controls are also always on display unlike the 831 with it's front cover.
the Worcester is also a good boiler but I can't advise much on it as only fit the Vaillant range.
judging by the post I would expect at least some of the pipework to need upgrading to 28mm maybe all but probably at least half of the length.

The Pro has a shorter warranty, single speed pump as well.

I never quote for fitting the Pro combis.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back