Help putting curtain pole up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i was hoping someone could help me, i am wanting to put a curtain pole up just above the french doots in the living room.

I am not great at DIY having not done that much, so a little advice would be great.

I think what i am struggling with more than anything is going to do it and then it not being solid brick straight behind the plasterboard, i am not sure if there will be a standard gap that you usually have or if the brick is much closer in that area, when i tap the wall where i would want to screw the curtain pole, it does sound different to the normal side walls that sound hollow, this doesnt sound hollow, which from what i am assuming is good, as i think i will be fine doing it if it was brick directly behind, i just worry if its now=t, as looking at the fixings im not sure if they look big enough to get through stabdard plasterboard then th hollow gap then find the brick at the back.

The house is new, it got built about 4 months ago, would i assume in any new houses in the uk that this area would be solid brick right behind the plasterboard with no gap like the rest of the wall?

would this be standard as they know people will be putting up curtains etc in that area?

or am i just really over thinking this?

regards

James

Sponsored Links
would this be standard as they know people will be putting up curtains etc in that area?
There is not really a standard or normal. There are a number of various methods that are/can be used in the construction of internal walls and a number of different materials used as the fabric of the wall and supports over the openings.

So you would be best advised to drill a small pilot hole, after measuring up for the first fixing point. This could then help establish the depth or void if one. Also it may help determine what material is beneath the plasterboard.
They could be a stud void or a masonry cavity. The other thing to consider would be the support lintel, as they could also be timber(but unlikely these days), concrete, stone, RSJ or catnics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back