Help:Rebuild or install Rsj. Right way not bodge.

Sponsored Links
The photos aren't the right way round!

manHandsOnHead.jpg

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Best i could take due to space clearance.

Internal timber lintel looks ok. Its just this arch I am worried about.Funny enough i have taken few pics with I phone and despite me holding the phone correct they are being uploaded the way you are seeing.

Freddy. When you say rebuild it, would that mean in laymans terms that rake the mortar out or completely remove and start from scratch.

Easier said than done with a brick arch. If the inner skin's OK, might be easiest to get a 4x4 steel andgle and rebuild the outer skin off that, but in normal stretcher bond, not as an arch.

Thank you tony. Is there a rsj for 4x4. Why did they build arches and not normal stretcher bonds with the lintel.

As it is going to be external wall, I suppose timber will not be suitable. Rest of process also to insert the lintel or rsj is going to be similar to taking off internal wall! What padstone size will I need. Will a 9x9 padstone suffice.
Thanks.

Thank you tony. Is there a rsj for 4x4. Why did they build arches and not normal stretcher bonds with the lintel.

A 4"x4" angle is just that, an upstand 4" tall, and a ledge 4" out to support the brickwork (it is not an rsj).
Arches on the outer skin in common use up to the War, because an arch is self-supporting so does not need a lintel.
The other option was to build stretcher bond directly off the frame, but this is not possible if a door frame is recessed into the wall, hence the arch.

Tony Sir thank you. Much appreciated. 😊

Where would i find this 4x4angle and is there any need to inform building control. Would a guy who supplies rsj stock this. :oops: :oops:

Any steel stockholder will keep lengths of 4x4 angle.
Just coat it well before installing; 6" bearing each side would be OK; no need for padstones as it will not be heavily loaded.

As regards building control; the purists will be along any minute to say you need it (because it's a structural alteration).
Personally I'd view it as a simple repair - don't worry the council about it (they have enough problems as it is) - and save your money.

How wide is the opening.

If its an arch, it would look a bit naff with a lintel fitted, ie the head of frame.

Rake out those two loose joints, pack in some sand/cement, and hammer in some slate packers to tighten it back up, re-point.

Thank you kind souls.The opening is above double door ,1.9 metres wide.

Would pointing with building sand/cement(4:1) be strong enough. Do not want to do it for short term.(Slate packers) aka blue slate chipping from garden cente. Correct me if I am wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back